What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

• 1 month later...

Very good movie:

Joyeux Noël

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_No%C3%ABl

Joyeux Noël (English: Merry Christmas) is a 2005 film about the World War I Christmas truce of December 1914, depicted through the eyes of French, British and German soldiers. It was written and directed by Christian Carion. It was screened out of competition at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival.

The film was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 78th Academy Awards.

This film is based on the true stories of the World War I Christmas Truce along the Western Front.

The story centers mainly upon six main characters: Gordon (a Lieutenant of the Royal Scots Fusiliers); Audebert (a French Lieutenant in the 26th Infantry and reluctant son of a general); Horstmayer (a Jewish German Lieutenant of the 93rd Infantry); Palmer (a Scottish priest working as a stretcher-bearer); and German tenor Nikolaus Sprink and his Danish lover, soprano Anna Sørensen (two famous opera stars).

And today Katyn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_%28film%29

Katyń (Polish pronunciation: [ˈkatɨɲ]) is a 2007 Polish film about the 1940 Katyn massacre, directed by Academy Honorary Award winner Andrzej Wajda. It is based on the book Post Mortem: The Story of Katyn by Andrzej Mularczyk. It was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film for the 80th Academy Awards.

The events of Katyn are related through the eyes of the women, the mothers, wives, and daughters of the victims executed on Stalin's orders by the NKVD in 1940.

Andrzej (Artur Zmijewski) is a young Polish captain in an Uhlan (light cavalry) regiment who keeps a detailed diary. In September 1939, he is taken prisoner by the Soviet Army, which separates the officers from the enlisted men, who are allowed to return home, while the officers are held. His wife Anna (Maja Ostaszewska) and daughter Weronika, nicknamed "Nika" (Wiktoria GÄ…siewska), find him shortly before he is deported to the USSR. Presented with an opportunity to escape, he refuses on the basis of his oath of loyalty to the Polish military.

The film includes excerpts from German newsreels presenting the Katyn massacre as a Soviet crime, and excerpts from Soviet newsreels presenting the massacre as a German crime. Some documentary footage of the scene of the massacre is shown as well.

Edited by Guest

watched The Road Home again.

Zhang Ziyi stars in this film which has me in floods of tears everytime.

before that Hachi: a dog's tale with Richard Gere,based on a true story,again i was in tears.

first watched this while on a night shift with 5 other blokes and at the end we were all struggling to not show any tears.

watched The Road Home again.

Zhang Ziyi stars in this film which has me in floods of tears everytime.

before that Hachi: a dog's tale with Richard Gere,based on a true story,again i was in tears.

first watched this while on a night shift with 5 other blokes and at the end we were all struggling to not show any tears.

"Hachi" is one of the most famous stories in contemporary Japan/Tokyo. The name of the real dog who was waiting for its owner every day at the station, even after his ownder died, is " Hachiko ". You'll find a sculpture of the dog next to Shibuya station. Today it's a well know meeting place at one of the most busies crossroads in the world.

In Japan Hachiko is a national symbol of loyalty...

• 4 weeks later...