What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

"The End" - Documentary about rough characters brought up in difficult circumstances on London's East End. The film lets these guys tell their own stories. Victor Dark, Bobby Reading, Les Falco, et al. The Guardian was a little tough on it because the film was created by the twin daughters of Les Falco (I guess you'd call him a Boss on the East End - as it was years ago), but I thought it was well done. No air of cheesiness about it.

As a matter of fact, I wish there were guys like that where I live now. From what I can see, young gangbangers in LA have no discernible values at all, despite any romantic ideas people might have. Anyway.

The Road

A post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son trying to survive by any means possible.

MV5BMTAwNzk4NTU3NDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDg3OTEyODI@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Not sure about this one. Well made I suppose but fairly depressing throughout. :dunno:

Hangover 2.

i knew this was set in Thailand and borrowed it from my visiting American cousin.

i knew it would be a purile American film aimed at American teenagers and i was not disappointed.

did'nt really find it funny but it had a couple of scenes which made me chuckle.

it did'nt really seem to show much of how Thailand looks apart from the few shots of Bangkok and Phang-Nga.

The Road

A post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son trying to survive by any means possible.

MV5BMTAwNzk4NTU3NDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDg3OTEyODI@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Not sure about this one. Well made I suppose but fairly depressing throughout. :dunno:

I saw it too and was utterly depressing. I didn't read the book but a friend did. He said the ending was different. The kid took a leap of faith and went with some guy. Not the family guy that the movie had where you were reasonably sure he would be taken care of.

The one thing that this and a few other movies of similar themes did was not tell you how the world went into this post apocolypse nightmare. The movie didn't allude to any specific type of thing. There was a french movie similar to this as well in some post apocolyptic world and they didn't tell you how it ended either. Doesn't matter if you think about it. The Denzel Washington film 'Book of Eli' I think is the name was in a similar vein.

All I know is if I knew the end was coming like that, I'd buy all the guns, ammo, etc. I can and hole up somewhere fairly warm but isolated. I'll try and get a group of people, young guys who can handle themselves, ex Navy Seal, survivalists, etc. and some women in their 20s (you know why...hehehe). Dogs as well. They'll be able to hear danger a while away. Underground fortress, lamps that I could grow plants with. Rabbits and other animals that reproduce rapidly. Okay, I've given this some thought...lol.

Hi,

"All I know is if I knew the end was coming like that"

Funny, my hope is that I just wouldn't survive whatever it is that caused the apocalypse rather than having to live in a post-apocalypse world.

Sanuk!

Somehow this notion has taken hold in pop culture that longevity trumps all; quality of life, richness of experience, etc.

Personally, I'm a big believer in fear. Not threats or intimidation or causing fear - fuck that, but I mean as a personal emotional driver. When I see people around my neighborhood with these 'no fear' bumper stickers I just think -- frickin idiots. I think a better one would be 'some fear.' But people fear the wrong things, and go for the most bland life possible in the hopes of etching out a couple more years on the calendar. THAT is my fear.

There is a Helen Keller quote I love:

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Helen must've been doped up when she said that; or she was really fucked up. 555555555555

HH

• 2 weeks later...