What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

I saw two great films last night.

The first one, recommended to me by Teddy earlier in the day, was,

Dom Hemingway (2013)

Rotten Tomatoes - "Jude Law plays DOM HEMINGWAY, a larger-than-life safecracker with a loose fuse who is funny, profane, and dangerous. After twelve years in prison, he sets off with his partner in crime Dickie (Richard E. Grant) looking to collect what he's owed for keeping his mouth shut and protecting his boss Mr. Fontaine (Demian Bichir). After a near death experience, Dom tries to re-connect with his estranged daughter (Emilia Clarke), but is soon drawn back into the only world he knows, looking to settle the ultimate debt."

It doesn't get very good ratings from Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB, but I thought it was excellent, particularly Jude Laws OTT character.

The other was,

Blue Ruin (2013)

Rotten Tomatoes - "BLUE RUIN is a classic American revenge story that recently won the FIPRESCI International Critics Prize at the Cannes Film Festival where it screened in the Directors' Fortnight. The film follows a mysterious outsider whose quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family."

This one gets much better ratings from RT and IMDB, and deservedly so.

• Like 1

The Station Agent - 2003

This is really lovely, quite short (no pun intended) film, that I think would put a smile on your face no matter how down you were feeling. :)

IMDB - "When his only friend dies, a man born with dwarfism moves to rural New Jersey to live a life of solitude, only to meet a chatty hot dog vendor and a woman dealing with her own personal loss."

Under the Skin is excellent. A very sexy Alien walks around Scotland killing jocks. What's not to like.

Apparently it was meant to be filmed in Liverpool, but after landing she decided she didn't fancy any of the scouser blokes so they took off and went to Edinburgh instead (before the wheels were nicked off her spaceship)!