What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

The Marine (2006)

MV5BMTg0ODc5NzE3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkxNzczMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Starring: John Cena, Robert Patrick, Kelly Carlson

IMDB - "A group of diamond thieves on the run kidnap the wife of a recently discharged marine who goes on a chase through the South Carolinian wilderness to retrieve her."

Absolute drivel. I knew it probably wouldn't be very good before I started watching it but it turned out to be possibly the worst film I have ever seen! :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

John Cena's acting is bad enough in the wrestling ring. Say no more :shakehead

Lucy, with Scarlett Johansson. Low-budget & dumbed-down version of the Matrix, its best feature is the irony of Scarlett Johansson (Ms. 1080 SAT score) playing the world's smartest-ever human being. I think there was a scene or two of animal sex - literally: bears - but other than that, nothing notable. I don't know how people dump tens of millions of dollars into movie production, yet alone utterly crap dialogue and acting. Perplexing.

Just finished Binge-watching the TV series Vikings. l, ll and lll. The whole thing reeks of good production - Metro Goldwyn Mayer - History Channel et al.

It is apparently based on real life, in part, some of the Danish Sagas, but ameliorated with Norwegian and Swedish themes, actual historical figures feature, the story telling has been well crafted. I'm a fan. I am waiting for the 4th series to eventuate.

Lots of blood, sex and mythology. If you have the opportunity, see the extended versions, some beautiful women sans kit.

• Like 2

Downloading Series 1 now, so will give it a try, thanks.

As said it is a very good show. However based mostly in sagas rather than historical fact. Ragnar Lodbrok was most likely a mythical figure, possibly made up of several real people. In the Icelandic sagas e.g. he was son of the Swedish king Sigurd Ring that went to Denmark to serve Denmarks king. As a side note the attack on Lindisfarne in the beginning of the series (a historical fact) is somtimes named as the start of the viking age. Many details also don't conform to historical facts but at least they didn't have horns on their helmets.

That said the series is well worth looking at.

Promised Land 2012

MV5BMTQxNDYzNzgyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU0NTI1OA@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Starring: Matt Damon, Frances McDormand, Hal Holbrook

IMDB - "Corporate salesman Steve Butler (Damon) arrives in a rural town with his sales partner, Sue Thomason (McDormand). With the town having been hit hard by the economic decline of recent years, the two outsiders see the local citizens as likely to accept their company's offer, for drilling rights to their properties, as much-needed relief. What seems like an easy job for the duo becomes complicated by the objection of a respected schoolteacher (Holbrook) with support from a grassroots campaign led by another man (Krasinski) who counters Steve both personally and professionally."

No car chases, no bombs, no shootouts, just a good drama (about fracking). Enjoyed this.