What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

The Connection 2014 - Very good this. Set in Marseilles in the '70s, it takes a while to realise that it wasn't shot in the '70s. At first I thought it may have been shot then, but released in 2014, the look and feel is that accurate, stunningly so.

Very good tale in the French Language but with English subtitles for non-French speakers like me. The plot is about the efforts of a Magistrate to bring a Mafia drug organisation to justice. The French end of the French Connection.

All done without unrealistic effects. When someone gets shot repeatedly, the body just lies there and twitches with each additional shot, like a sack of meat and bones would, after the initial bullet did the disabling. No fountains of blood here.

Good acting, good story.

I rate this quite highly, well worth a watch.

From IMDB: The must use adjectives are thrilling and mind blowing. Seriously, the motion picture directed and written by Cédric Jimenez was emotionally heavy. The movie was inspired by true events set in the 1970s. It was about a Neapolitan Mafia Boss Tanny Zampa who ran a French extortion gang in Marseille, France. The Kingpin and his mob later exploded into 'The Connection'. It meant heroin purchased from Turkey being flood into New York by the French Mafia. What stood in their way was dedicated detective Pierre Michel who raged bloody war against their money laundering Empire.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 2015 - Surprisingly enjoyable. I never really took to the original TV series, too self congratulatory. This movie, however, was a notch less, in this department. Some humour, set in the early sixties and nicely made, directed by Guy Ritchie. Well worth a watch.

Oldboy 2013 - Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel L. Jackson - Twisted with turns and quite surreal - I liked this - Well worth a watch. There's a 2003 version "Oldeuboi" which appears to be Korean? Much more highly rated and a recipient of awards. I'll watch this next time.