What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Not a Movie - Taboo is a British television drama series created by Steven Knight, Tom Hardy and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy and based on a story written by Tom. (Wiki something)

Very good, two episodes so far, grimy, extremely well shot and acted, blood, Tom Hardy, Jonathan Price et al. Well worth a watch.

Jason Bourne and Jack Reach-around on a flight - jesus, they both sucked. Bourne is worn so thin you can see through by now, no creativity left, and action not up to snuff with prior films. Embarrassing for all involved - except what's-his-name, Tommy from The Fugitive - he does a good job as CIA director, visibly rotting from within. He's got some face at this point, that guy...

Tom Cruise and some chick in desert camo constantly breaking into short sprints across public parks was about all I picked up from Jack Reacher - also, that high security military prisons are just slightly less difficult to escape than a Girl Scouts meeting.

I guess the people are looking for angry heroes these days, and these guys fit the profile - shame to have the Bourne series reach this sad level, it had some high points over the years. There's a point at which Bourne literally jumps a shark in an armored vehicle, I think.

Whilst I enjoyed both movies, you are correct in your summation, action these days, does seem to involve lotsa short sprints. I was gonna rewind and count the fights, the runnings, the meaningful glances, in Jack Reacher, but I couldn't be bothered.

As popcorn escapism, not so bad.

Not a movie, Maigret is a British television series from ITV, its first episode aired on 28 March 2016. It is an adaptation of the books by Georges Simenon featuring his fictional French detective Jules Maigret played by Rowan Atkinson. (Wiki something)

Very good - whilst I expected Mr Bean, Rowan does a great job acting straight, very good.

My only concern is that the opening episode, set in Paris, has everyone speaking in quite obvious english dialectic accents, but once you ignore that, it's excellent.

Beautifully shot.

Turns out this is being hawked around as two movies.

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)

In the rural area around the Anatolian town of Keskin, the local prosecutor, police commissar, and doctor lead a search for a victim of a murder to whom a suspect named Kenan and his mentally challenged brother confessed. However, the search is proving more difficult than expected as Kenan is fuzzy as to the body's exact location. As the group continues looking, its members can't help but chat among themselves about both trivia and their deepest concerns in an investigation that is proving more trying than any of them expected. IMDB

On first glance, a bunch of Turkish men in two old Renaults and a Jeep of some sort, faffing around in the countryside at night. English subtitles.

Two and a half hours. But daylight turns up about halfway through and it becomes bearable.

By the time it finished, I had a grudging affection for the characters. But this is notable for being well made, rather than for being great entertainment. Also a touch of Keystone Cops here and there.

Rainy day movie when nothing else is around.

Arrival (2016)

When mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team - led by expert linguist Louise Banks - is brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers - and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity. IMDB

I quite enjoyed this, just enough mental challenge and entertaining.

Worth a watch

The Duelist (2016)

Set in 19th century Imperial Russia, the story revolves around a retired army veteran who makes a good living by settling duels for aristocrats, a common practice of the era. IMDB

Russian with English subs - not so cogent subs, but quite an interesting movie with lots of Russian Noble Honour floating about.

Beautiful visuals, well worth a watch