What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Utopia (2013)

An epic film in its production, scope and revelations, UTOPIA reveals that apartheid is deep within Australia's past and present and that Aboriginal people are still living in abject poverty and Third World conditions, with a low life expectancy and disproportionately high rate of deaths in police custody.

Director:John Pilger

Writer:John Pilger

Hard hitting film of the struggles in Australia that the Aboriginal people are having. One thing that came thru was the wiggling that the politicians exhibited when questioned by John Pilger...do all politicians come from the same mold?

Fire in the Blood (2013)

An intricate tale of "medicine, monopoly and malice", FIRE IN THE BLOOD tells the story of how Western pharmaceutical companies and governments blocked access to low-cost AIDS drugs for the countries of the global south in the years after 1996 - causing ten million or more unnecessary deaths - and the improbable group of people who decided to fight back. Shot on four continents and including contributions from global figures such as Bill Clinton, Desmond Tutu and Joseph Stiglitz, FIRE IN THE BLOOD is the never-before-told true story of the remarkable coalition which came together to stop 'the crime of the century' and save millions of lives in the process.

Hard hitting doco regarding HIV/AIDS in Africa and how the generic drugs from India were blocked by Big Pharma...the story ened

for now but Big Pharma is not giving up and has brought the WTO into the fight.

Major stink exposed....UK and USA...having been to this honeymoon island, I never knew they had an indigenous population! There were hundreds of workers from the Philippines!! Can watch the doco on vimeo. (

)

This tells a story literally 'hidden from history'. In the 1960s and 70s, British governments, conspiring with American officials, tricked into leaving, then expelled the entire population of the Chagos islands in the Indian Ocean. The aim was to give the principal island of this Crown Colony, Diego Garcia, to the Americans who wanted it as a major military base. Indeed, from Diego Garcia US planes have since bombed Afghanistan and Iraq. The story is told by islanders who were dumped in the slums of Mauritius and in the words of the British officials who left a 'paper trail' of what the International Criminal Court now describes as 'a crime against humanity' .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803890/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

That particular tale is known by many Brits, or at least it should be, we were taught about it in secondary school (high school), and no they didn't sell it as a good thing, but though that one involved something the US wanted there are plenty of other places the British have historically not exactly been benevolent or benign with or without the interests of third parties, then again, the French, Belgians, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese and countless others have done similar horrible things.

It's very likely the US is scaling down its DG ops now that they have a relatively new massive base in Qatar

The USA has large bases in Bahrain, Kuwait, etc etc

What strange that the indigenous people couldn't stay there but they import hundreds (thousands?) of people from the Philippines to work there....the are (were) on three year contracts without any home leave or vacations.

Seems silly to run off the indigenous people and then have to import people from the Philippines....couldn't the indigenous people have done the work there?

Just wondering....

The indigenous were farmers and fishermen, not bricklayers and cleaners, but I agree that they should never have been expelled. Lets not forget the British were doing what they always do and kow tow to their US masters request in clearing the island. But that's the thing with history, hindsight is always 20/20 so we know this should never be. That said the present is manageable and the continued current US policy of demeaning the Filipino workers and refusing sovereign UK court rulings is where I feel the present day focus should be maintained. Just because of what was doesn't mean it has to be what is.

I'm sorry, this is the movie thread, which I very much enjoy for it's stated intention. I will refrain from further OT comment here.

A Prayer Before Dawn (2017)

The true story of an English boxer incarcerated in one of Thailand's most notorious prisons as he fights in Muay Thai tournaments to earn his freedom.

Gripping movie, brutal, not for the faint of heart. I doubt that it will be shown in Thailand.

A Prayer Before Dawn [2017]

A brutally stylish prison drama based on the true story of British druggie banged up in a Thai prison who finds a way to beat his habit by competing and winning a prison Muay Thai championship. Worth seeing out on torrent in SD format now.