What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

13 hours ago, cavanami said:

The Last Ship

The crew of a naval destroyer is forced to confront the reality of a new existence when a pandemic kills off most of the earth's population.

Stars:

Eric Dane, Adam Baldwin, Charles Parnell

A thriller of a TV series! It's in to its fifth season.
Season 1 was quite gripping and leaving plenty of suspense for the following seasons!!

I'm up to date with this one. S05E07 to date. The first series, and to an extent the second were very good I thought. Now, by season 5 it has become somewhat more fomulaic and the reality gap is widening, it was already pretty big. The original premise of a virus that wiped out 80% of the population was a good one and gave scope for a good story. That the ships captain, now an admiral, is still out there shooting up bad guys replete with AR15 and flak jacket seems a bit much. Becoming more A team meets McGuyver, on a ship, with each series. I'll persevere for now.

One thing....I have been working on ships for quite some years and have met/worked with many captains, 100+ for sure.
There were zero captains that would go on the sorties as depicted in The Last Ship.
Several captains were more hands on, meaning that they could find their way around the engine room. The vast majority of captains stay up top and that is OK as they have enough work to keep them busy.
Still a fun series for me to watch and giggle along with...

Ships commanders and captains are managers, pure and simple, they manage a complex machine like you would manage a factory with staff and in addition they manage warfare. A CEO of a company of several hundred or more people going on the factory floor to help fix a problem might not be unheard of but I would say its a pretty rare thing. As for an Admiral at sea, we'd probably have to go back to Nelson for that one.