What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Neat: The Story of Bourbon (2018)

Neat is a documentary that dives into the rich and storied world of bourbon. Exploring it's colorful history, charismatic characters, and uniquely American process, the film is a celebration of the time, artistry, and relationships that make for America's only native spirit.

Excellent doco. Sit back and enjoy and learn about bourbon.

• Sad 1

Just Mercy

Story of Bryan Stevenson, death penalty lawyer in the US south.  Relentlessly formulaic Hollywood telling of one case in an impressive career - good to see an actual good guy get some credit once in a while.  It's long at over two hours (I think: maybe it just felt that long) but no one walked out in the Tunisian theater I saw it in, which surprised me- even got a good round of applause as credits rolled...

Note to self: don't be black down South...

YimSiam

Knives Out [2019]
An old fashioned Agatha Christie style murder whodunit might seem a little jaded in this day and age, but a strong cast just about carries this tale of a rich 85 year old father mysteriously dying and leaving his dysfunctional family fighting over the inheritance.

On 1/3/2020 at 3:51 AM, Palatkik said:
Jojo Rabbit [2019]
Unusually cute black satire set in World War 2 takes the piss out of Nazis and hate which is of interest for its originality although ultimately disappoints. 

I enjoyed this a lot, and was not disappointed, though that may be due, to the humorous titbits that are somehow Kiwi/Maori in nature, whilst still amusing the wider audience.

For those who are wavering about seeing this movie, I  can say that the supporting cast, did a stellar job, Rebel Wilson was great, Sam Rockwell was superb and Taika Waititi as imaginary Hitler, and Scarlet Johansson, as the mum, were excellent.

I'd say, that unless you are a war monger, this is a must see. Or even, especially if you are a war monger, this is a must see. 5 from 5 stars

Sample

JojoR.jpg.fd040ce23dc45477933f9992750539f9.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:58 AM, Palatkik said:
1917 [2019]
Visually strong war movie offering a modern immersive experience where the camera seems to roll in a single shot for two hours without a scene break, two soldiers set off across the trench lines to reach a forward troop to pass on an important message. Not to be missed. 

Yes, 5 from 5 stars.  Superb.

Bottled Up The Battle Over Dublin Dr Pepper

'Bottled Up: The Battle Over Dublin Dr Pepper' is a new documentary 120 years in the making. Our story details the small town of Dublin, Texas, which was the first place to ever bottle the soft drink Dr Pepper back in 1891. Garnering cult-like status in the 70s by continuing to produce Dr Pepper with pure cane sugar as the soda industry switched to High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), 'Bottled Up' details the events and history leading up to the demise of the relationship between Dublin Dr Pepper and its parent corporation - The Dr Pepper Snapple Group in 2012. With exclusive interviews and footage, Bottled Up provides an insiders look at how this relationship fizzled, and the public outcry that continues to this day.

Special doco for me as I worked for some years just east of Dublin. I had friends living in Dublin and I have been to Dublin many times.