What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

On 4/29/2020 at 6:02 PM, zzzz said:

Netflix movie, #1 in USA, called “Extraction.”  It’s a real tear jerker with a classic cathartic moment when the hero dies, then a nice denouement. 

I think the kids these days would suggest that one deserves a 'spoiler alert' at the beginning, zzzz.   🙂 YimSiam

PASSENGERS 

With the girl from those teen Hunger Games movies and a Chris Pratt, this sci-fi action flick lands with a deadening thud.  Looks expensive, and she must cost big bucks to get in an action flick, but this movie sucks - no chemistry to speak of, and while the plot premise is kind of cool, the developments are just stupid and poorly executed.  Couldn't bear to watch it straight through, but it's been popping up repeatedly on MBC whenever I turn on the TV, and I think I've seen enough of it to speak authoritatively at this point...

YimSiam🙂

On 5/3/2020 at 6:40 AM, YimSiam said:

I think the kids these days would suggest that one deserves a 'spoiler alert' at the beginning, zzzz.   🙂 YimSiam

Wikipedia has detailed plots of every movie ever made, a motherload of "spoilers."  They don't have "spoiler alerts" by the way.  I used to belong to a forum that used to prohibit "spoilers" but it stopped that because discussions are better that way.  If you are concerned about spoilers, my advice to you is stay away from reviews.

Quiz [2020 TV mini series]
Three part drama retelling the Millionaire quiz show scandal involving a retired military officer who won the top prize and was convicted in a court of law for cheating. Mundane drama that's only lifted by the clever impersonation of Chris Tarrant.

Planet Of The Humans [2020]
Michael Moore directed documentary, although not in it, this is a warning about the green revolution hypocrisy, which had the potential to illuminate during the 50th anniversary of Earth Day but ultimately numbs with the loose mix of stories and the dullest narrator voice (Jeff Gibbs) in the history of narrating.

Greed [2020]
Satirical comedy biopic of a fictional retail street billionaire (not too dissimilar the real life Philip Green) celebrating his success and 60th birthday in vulgar Greek splendor whilst his sweat shop suppliers and Syrian refugees look on. A fairly mediocre affair that promised more with the strong lead but ultimately the sum of the parts falls flat.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always [2020]
A British-US film that is drama making of an impressive kind, almost documentary in feel, the title is the answers available to a multiple choice interview at a New York clinic where a 17 year old teenager has to travel cross state with her cousin to get an abortion. One of best films of this genre.

Brassic [2020 TV series season 2]
Second installment about a group of hard up UK northerners who find dubious ways of making a living. Not quite up to the first season standard but still worth a laugh for its childish gross out humor woven into the slapstick story-line.