What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Kickboxer

A van Damme movie, never watched before but crap acting aside, some very realistic bits. 

In the first fight you get a glimpse of a the corner chair being in the round tray to catch water etc. 

Regular boxing doesn't have that

The bar seem looks far better than any in those bucks party movies.

A brief scene with a Thai doctor he Chinese Thai, these small details are what a movie usually misses.

The regular rest of the movie is shit

Death To 2020 [2020]
A year ending American mockumentary with a modicum of British content makes for an interesting mix of humor that occasionally raises a laugh, but the year has been one to forget anyway. Like the lead SLJ says at the start about making this "why in the fck would you wanna do that?".

Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan [2020]
A look at the life of the blunt toothless Irish singer/songwriter Shane MacGowan, looking like death warmed up these days from years of drugs and drink, this is a one of the great music documentaries, full of soul and poetry worth seeing again and again.

Equilibrium (2002)

Take 'Neo' from the Matrix movie and throw him into Orwell's 1984. Lots of men in black with AR15s or similar.

Not unwatchable, a good rainy day movie.

Stars3.png.6efdb6edef2b62ba8f27c86fbe136620.png

_____

So then I had to watch 1984 again:

1984 (1984)

In a totalitarian future society, a man, whose daily work is re-writing history, tries to rebel by falling in love. The movie of the George Orwell story.

Very good, but only four stars, for the movie, the story gets five, but the movie four.

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

I see there is a '1984 (1956)' I might seek that out and watch it too.

_____

The Devil All the Time (2020)

Sinister characters converge around a young man devoted to protecting those he loves in a postwar backwoods town teeming with corruption and brutality.

This is much better than it first appears, worth sitting through the first 30 or so minutes.

In rural southern Ohio and West Virginia, The Devil All the Time follows a bunch of compelling and bizarre characters from the end of World War II to the 1960s.

Very Good.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png

_____ 

Nomadland [2020]
After losing everything in the financial crash of 2008 a woman embarks on a journey through the American West living as a van-dwelling modern-day nomad getting seasonal work where its available, even temping for the trillion dollar company Amazon, meeting others in the same predicament. A gentle post apocalyptic style road movie, with strong character development that grows on you.

Breathless (A bout de souffle) [1960]
First time viewing this 60 years after its release. Saw the movie Seberg [2020] earlier which led to checking this out, one of her most famous movies, very advanced in style for the era and so well edited that each scene is engrossing. A petty criminal kills a cop and tries to escape to Italy with his American french speaking girl friend. Classic cinema at its best. The torrent is a re released from 2007.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:14 AM, Coss said:

I see there is a '1984 (1956)' I might seek that out and watch it too.

1984 (1956)

It seems that 1984 (1984) is an almost scene for scene, copy of the earlier black and white 1984 (1956)

Amongst the players, Michael Redgrave,  Jan Sterling, (not to my taste, beauty has changed) and a young Donald Pleasence.

This is a better movie than the later '84 release and easier to digest.

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

• Like 1