What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

My Octopus Teacher [2020]

A filmmaker forges an unusual almost bizarre friendship with an octopus living in a South African kelp forest, learning as the animal shares the mysteries of her world. Mesmerizing documentary with great visual imagery, veers more towards too Disney like than anything too scientific, but worth a look when the mood suits.

Line Of Duty [2012 S01-S06 TV series]

Crime series following the investigations of AC-12, a controversial police anti-corruption unit. In 2021 it's series 6 of this popular TV crime drama. As each episode and series feeds on the previous and as the acronyms go into overdrive, this has the potential to self-implode under its own weight but so far it's been a thrill ride and still an impressive latest series filmed under social distancing rules.

1 hour ago, Palatkik said:

Line Of Duty [2012 S01-S06 TV series]

Crime series following the investigations of AC-12, a controversial police anti-corruption unit. In 2021 it's series 6 of this popular TV crime drama. As each episode and series feeds on the previous and as the acronyms go into overdrive, this has the potential to self-implode under its own weight but so far it's been a thrill ride and still an impressive latest series filmed under social distancing rules.

I think I've watched every one of these from the time they were originally shown. It's become a bit formulaic over the 6 seasons, perhaps not surprisingly so given the subject and objectives. I still think it is a brilliant set of series and a solid benchmark for assessing similar. I'll reserve comment on season 6 so as not to add a spoiler. Worth a watch, 4-4.5 stars.

With RM on this, the first was so refreshing and gripping but since then they have become a repetition on a theme.

I still remember the climax to season one when Tony Gates committed suicidal on the Motorway after being caught up in Jackie Laverty’s hit and run. In order to ensure his family received his pension and compensation he asked Steve Arnott to record his death as Killed “In The Line of Duty” hence the series title.

Ammonite [2020]

1840s England, acclaimed working class fossil hunter Mary Anning and a young socialite woman sent to convalesce by the sea develop an intense relationship, altering both of their lives forever. Part biographical with Anning's work now displayed in the British Museum and part seemingly a speculative take of her lesbian friendship, this is a master class of acting and film making. Worth seeing.

• Like 1