What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

On 1/9/2022 at 5:14 AM, Palatkik said:

Boiling Point [2021]

Follows the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen as a head chef wrangles his team on the busiest day of the year. Entertaining and tense drama shot in a single take from one camera following various customers and staff around the establishment.

Palatkik - thank you for your review, what follows is not directed at your post, it's more to do with "Chef Movie"

This and the feted Nicholas Cage film "Pig", gets my blood boiling.

As a chef of the old school,, Cordon Bleu - own restaurants - '80s, '90s, 00's -

I can sum up the experiences of a Chef as being, very much a 'practitioner', a good/outstanding chef is a leader and a thorough manager and there is no democracy, in his/her kitchen.

These cinematic attempts to equate Chefs with notable artistic or dramatic brilliance, would better off, it they chose Artists or Dramatic Actors for their stories. No Chef deserves or wants a movie, if a Chef thought he/she'd were subject matter for a movie, the electricity would be turned off. Any Chef that thinks they do deserve a movie, has a stupid head, like Jaimee O. or some such.

The point of being a chef is having the consumer consume, a great meal, with no personality from out back, and don't leave anything on the plate.

As erroneous as - trying to give a ditch digger a Nobel peace price for digging a straight piece of ditch.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:08 AM, Coss said:

Don't Look Up 2021

Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence,Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Rob Morgan, Jonah Hill, Mark Rylance, Tyler Perry, Timothée Chalamet, Ron Perlman, Ariana Grande, Himesh Patel, Melanie Lynskey, Michael Chiklis, Tomer Sisley, Paul Guilfoyle.

At once a popular movie, for the undiscerning audience, and also a comedy, and may be the best satire, of 'merica I've ever seen...

I won't detail all the spoilers, but some are noteworthy and enhance viewing pleasure. Meryl Streep as 'a President', Jonah Hill as 'a President's Son'.

All in all, a funny, pleasing and insightful look at an - Asteroid about to hit earth movie.

When the final credits appear, keep watching, there's more.

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

I never knew Meryl Streep had a tramp stamp on her back

52 minutes ago, My Penis is hungry said:

I never knew Meryl Streep had a tramp stamp on her back

She doesn’t, it’s a body double 

We certainly see, er, a new side of Meryl Streep (no spoilers, but her character appears naked at one point). Was she up for that?
She is fearless. And yes, that is a body double. But you know who had a problem with it? Leo [DiCaprio]. Leo just views Meryl as film royalty … although maybe royalty is not a compliment … but as such a special figure in the history of film. He didn’t like seeing her with the lower back tattoo, walking for a second naked. He said something to me like: “Do you really need to show that?” And I was like: “It’s President Orlean; it’s not Meryl Streep.” But she didn’t even blink. She didn’t even bring it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/dec/13/adam-mckay-leo-sees-meryl-as-film-royalty-he-didnt-like-seeing-her-with-a-lower-back-tattoo

Sorry to shatter your illusion

Four Lives [2022 TV Limited Series]

A true story three part drama takes a look at the aftermath of four murders carried out by Stephen Port between 2014 and 2015 in Barking, UK. Only recently released after the court cases concluded. A reasonable crime drama, highlights poor police work and the disturbing character of a serial killer played interestingly by a lead more familiar with comedic roles. 

• Like 1

The Tragedy Of Macbeth [2021]

A Scottish lord becomes convinced by a trio of witches that he will become the next King of Scotland, and his ambitious wife supports him in his plans of seizing power. Top notch acting in a wonderfully gothic style black and white 4:3 landscape, this concise movie even makes Shakespeare bearable for those averse to the genre.

King Richard [2021]

A look at how the Williams sisters tennis players became who they are after the coaching from their domineering father Richard Williams. Entertaining albeit overly formulaic sports biopic, full of American racial cliches, saved by an interesting nuanced lead.

After Life [2019 TV series]

This is comedic story telling as good as it gets on TV, three series now of the dark comedy about bereavement hits a whole range of emotions but with more than enough hilarious moments in six succinct episodes per series. Some of Gervais' best work, with no more shows planned this will remain a classic for years to come. 

• Like 1

Munich The Edge Of War [2021]

A British diplomat travels to Munich in the run-up to World War II, where a former classmate of his from Oxford is also en route, but is working for the German government. A solid entertaining historical drama about the Chamberlain-Hitler agreement in 1938. Worth seeing.