What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Hold the Sunset 2018

A TV series 

Notable because of John Cleese, who does get a few good lines. Alison Steadman is very good and the rest of the cast are top notch.

I can't help feeling, that they got some real good actors and then let themselves down, in the directorial department.

Short form 28 minute episodes, unusual in today's world of 48 minute shots.

If you like the Last of the Summer Wine, you may like this.

I did

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

HTS.jpg.c6537fcc51dc71e5774f6acf8d5a1586.jpg

Holding 2022

A TV series

One episode in and this looks like good quality, British/Irish humour.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes, if they can maintain the quality of the first, this'll be good.

Holding.jpg.b1fd6fbeb16b8ec2ef0ce282912666e0.jpg

Drive My Car [2021]

A renowned stage actor and director learns to cope with his wife's unexpected passing when he receives an offer to direct a production of Uncle Vanya in Hiroshima. A three hour long adaptation of a short story is a worthy, albeit not great, foreign language movie dealing with grief. The subtitles on some copies of this can be a bit confusing.

The Responder [2022 TV Series]

A crisis-stricken, morally compromised first-responder tackles a series of night shifts on the beat in Liverpool, while trying to keep his head above water personally and professionally. This is a UK TV police drama at its best, astonishing lead performance, top support actors in a darkly atmospheric and disturbing plot. Very entertaining, a second series beckons.

• Like 1

Death on the Nile 2022, no point doing a remake if not as good as the original, and how often is that? Some decent performances but plot marred by the the usual inclusive diversity policy. Black characters introduced which would be acceptable if the script treated them the same,  but oh no. In a classic where everyone is a suspect in a murder case the two black character's get a free pass, cannot have them as serious suspects, and certainly not cast as the culprits.  Nice location shots and over the top dancing.