What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Tigrar [2020]

(Aka Tigers)

Based on his autobiography, the true story of Swedish teenage football talent Martin Bengtsson's life-and-death journey through a modern-day football industry where everything, including mental health has a price tag. Entertainingly intense drama spoken mostly in English told in a convincing way, with very little of the game shown.

After Yang [2021]

In a near future, a family reckons with questions of love, connection, and loss after their 'techno-sapien' AI helper unexpectedly breaks down. A dreamlike science fiction about a family who relied on a robot called Yang so much they didn't notice the distance that has come between themselves until it was gone.

The Phantom Of The Open [2021]

Biopic of Maurice Flitcroft, a dreamer and optimist, who managed to gain entry to The British Open Golf Championship Qualifying in 1976 and subsequently shot the worst round in Open history, becoming a folk hero in the process. A strong lead portrays mediocrity with occasional deft dry humor in a cliché driven production style feel good movie about a rather odd golfing event.

Brian And Charles [2022]

After a particularly harsh winter Brian goes into a deep depression; completely isolated and with no one to talk to, Brian does what any sane person would do when faced with such a melancholic situation. He builds an AI robot out of an old washing machine. Hilarious oddball humor in this mockumentary style comedy set in the Welsh countryside.

Treasure! I have found a trove of excellent movies.

They are the OSS 117 series. French with English Subtitles. Very obviously spoofs of James Bond movies. Good Comedy.

At first I was bemused, but after 20 minutes, I'm impressed.

They're all styled and set in  the Sean Connery, James Bond, times, '60s-ish clothes etc.

And the brief seems to have been, to keep them as sexist, racist and so on as possible, with in-jokes at every turn.

It may be that the English subtitles are not accurate, yet I found some of the lines brilliant. i.e. "Smoke?" - "Yes thank you, I'm trying to start".

The lead, Jean Dujardin, comes across as a little silly, but he does an excellent job and is very watchable.

I've seen three so far and there are more, some of the earlier ones may not be spoofs.

Standout :: 117 sleep disturbed, sprinting up a tower in the middle of the night to silence a muezzin calling muslims to prayer.

I've seen the following 

OSS 117: Lost in Rio (2009) 

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (2006)

OSS 117: From Africa with Love (2021)

Enjoyed every minute.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png

Some, there are more:

image.jpeg.f1b267b1568656496240e67bb4c2f96c.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d46b14c14fbc7fbe52ca2af0d74079b.jpeg

Sherwood [2022 TV Series]

Two macabre and unexpected murders shatter an already fractured community leading to one of the largest manhunts in British history. An excellent police drama series, mostly fictionalized for dramatic effect, with some gritty performances combines the hostilities and hurt from the coal miners strikes with a skillfully managed whodunit murder story-line, set in the picturesque setting of Nottingham. Worth binge watching. A second series is planned.

The Drovers Wife The Legend Of Molly Johnson [2021]

At the end of the nineteenth century a lonely pregnant bush woman struggles to raise her children and run the family farm while her husband is away droving sheep in colonial Australia. A formulaic style western which is only carried by a gutsy lead screen presence.

Good Luck to You, Leo Grande [2022]

A 55-year-old widow, is yearning for some adventure, human connection and some sex, with a hired sex worker. A slow burner of a film that comes across as a stage play in style, two wonderful lead performers bring an erotic drama with some clever dialogue to a happy ending.

Slow Horses [2022 TV Series]

Follows a team of British intelligence agents who serve as a dumping ground department of MI5 due to their career-ending mistakes under a leader with a penchant for living like a slob and breaking wind. Entertaining spy action drama series, based on the Slough House novels, top acting, witty dialogue, maybe feels like it's been done before but a lot of fun and another series coming. Worth seeing.

• Thanks 1

Spotlight 2015

IMDB: The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

Stars - Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams

At first I wondered at the "Star" content, of a seemingly pedestrian movie about Journalists struggling with a story. But see below for why.

Coss: I'd always suspected the Catholic Church was the preeminent  leader, of organisations of men, for the purpose of diddling children, others are - Boy Scouts, YMCA (early years), Boy's Brigade, etc.

My suspicions were casually attained, by the infrequent media missives, over the years.

Even the blow up, world wide, that happened in 2002, seemed not to have any lasting consequences, the Catholic Church looks to have survived this largely intact. Certainly the Pope is now behaving, much more like the head of a Political Organisation than as the representative of God.

A line, I saw somewhere else - "God? When everything is going wrong, God is the guy, you pray to and then he ignores you... "

So to see this movie, which was very much, set out in the hero journalist mould, but came together, at the end, in a definitive take down of the Catholic religion and societal behaviour in general, was an eye opener.

Awards - Won 2 Oscars and 124 wins and 143 nominations total.

Must see.

Be sure you see, the list of places at the end, where this story blew up the Catholic Church across America and around the World, many hundreds of them...

Make time to seek this out and watch it.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png