What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

The Proposition 2005

Stars - Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, John Hurt

Nick Cave, screenplay, music and general production participant.

Lotsa killing of settlers and first nationals.

On the one hand an Aussie genesis western, on the other hand, an eye opener into the beginnings of colonial Oz.

I'd be very distressed if I saw this and i was of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Island stock.

Well worth the watch.

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

_____

Coss Tangent: I was once looking after a bar in Auckland whilst it's owner was overseas, not much for me to do, so I took to perching at the end of the main bar in the evenings and sampling the various Scotches.

One evening, a coupe of lasses approached me, handsome as I am and small talk ensued, the blonde one was very Oz, her name, may have been Sheila.

The other one looked me in the eye and said, "I'll buy you a drink if you can tell me where in Oz I'm from, if you can't, you buy us a drink."

So I looked her straight back and said "Torres Straight Islands", She bought me a Scotch, after she'd picked up her jaw from the floor.

When she asked how I knew, I said something to the effect of, "I've seen some very pretty first nation lasses and also some, in the nature documentaries featuring Torres Straight Islands."

There was a chap and his wife, who used to do Turtle and Manatee doccos up north in Australia, names escape me, but thanks for the memories...

The Old Man [2022 TV Series]

A former CIA officer, who's living off the grid, finds himself on the run from people who want to kill him. A lavish thriller, with an absorbing story, the finest lead performers carry this all the way, told in a flash back format with perhaps an overload of twists. Worth binge watching all seven episodes. A second series is planned.

• Thanks 1

This Much I Know To Be True [2022]

Explores the creative relationship and songs from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' last two studio albums, "Ghosteen" and "Carnage". One of those special musical cinematic experiences, by the two Australian artists in a documentary that makes the hair on the back of one's neck stand up.

True Things [2021]

A young woman living on the fringes of society and self-doubt becomes intoxicated by a stranger who overwhelms her in a British seaside town.  A powerful central lead makes for an absorbing psychological drama that can feel a little flat, but worth seeing.

Diana Kennedy: Nothing Fancy [2019]

Cookbook author and environmental activist Diana Kennedy reflects on an unconventional life spent mastering Mexican cuisine. Well-made award winning documentary filmed with the charismatic English born author during her 95th year.

She Will [2022]

An aging film star retreats to the scenic Scottish countryside with her nurse to recover from double mastectomy surgery. While there, mysterious forces of revenge emerge from the land where witches were burned. A decent moody art-house revenge thriller that never seems to hit top gear.

The Good Liar -2019

Career con artist Roy Courtnay (Sir Ian McKellen) can hardly believe his luck when he meets well-to-do widow Betty McLeish (Dame Helen Mirren) on-line. As Betty opens her home and life to him, Roy is surprised to find himself caring about her, turning what should be a cut-and-dry swindle into the most treacherous tightrope walk of his life.

Plods along at a steady pace with a twist in the tail 

The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain [2021]

Biopic of the eccentric English artist Louis Wain who rises to prominence at the end of the 19th century for his surreal cat paintings that seemed to reflect his declining sanity whilst capturing the public imagination. Colorful old school style period drama, overly produced, family entertainment that gets a little bizarre but just seems to purr by.

Other, Like Me [2020]

The Oral History of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle. In the run down city of Hull, a group of misfits began street theater under the name of COUM Transmissions which later morphed into the band Throbbing Gristle in London. This is a gem of a documentary for fans of the band mostly narrated by members Genesis and Cosey.