What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

The English Game 2020 (Mini Series)

England, 1879. With football still in its infancy and an amateur sport, upper-class teams, led by Old Etonians, have dominated the early years of the FA Cup. But a revolution is brewing: against the rules of the FA, James Walsh, the owner of working-class side Darwen FC and the associated mill, secretly pays talented Scottish players Fergus Suter and Jimmy Love to join the team ahead of the cup quarterfinals against Old Etonians, whose roster features several members of the FA Board, including team captain Arthur Kinnaird.

Had the storyline and capacity to be a good mini series but was a damp squib Downtown Abbey FC.

Les Lyonnais 2011

French with Subtitles

After growing up in a poor gypsy camp, Edmond Vidal, aka Momon, has retained a sense of family, unfailing loyalty and pride in his origins. Most of all, he has remained friends with Serge Suttel, with whom he first discovered prison life - for stealing cherries. The two of them inevitably got involved in organized crime. The team they formed, the Gang Des Lyonnais, made them the most notorious armed robbers of the early 1970s. Their irresistible rise ended in 1974 with a spectacular arrest. Today, as he nears 60, Momon would like to forget that part of his life. He has found peace by retiring from the "business". He tends to his wife Janou, who suffered so in the past, and to his children and grandchildren, all of whom have great respect for this man of simple and universal values, so clear-headed and full of kindness. But then Serge Suttel, who has disowned nothing of his past, comes back into the picture.

Apparently based on true events.

Well paced and deep enough to be enjoyable.

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

This Is Going To Hurt [2022 TV Series]

Set on an NHS labor ward with all its heart-lifting highs and gut-wrenching lows, the show delivers a brutally honest, sometimes humorous, depiction of life as a junior doctor, blood, guts and the toll the job can take back home. For those sick of medical drama series genre, this is a fresh look, bleak, realistic and funny albeit a sign of the times having to push some agendas.

Rogue Agent [2022]

Based on the odd and chilling story of British career conman Robert Freegard who masqueraded as an MI5 agent and fooled people into going into hiding whilst conning them into giving him their savings, and the woman lawyer who fell for him, then brought him down. A fairly mundane screenplay brought to life by two decent leads keeps us engaged but ends rather unsatisfactorily as he's out there again without explanation?

• Like 1

Top Gun: Maverick [2022]

After more than thirty years of service one of the Navy's top aviators is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. A sequel to surpass the original 1986 Top Gun offering some of the best aerial combat scenes on screen. Worth seeing when the mood is suited for old school style summer blockbusters.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:32 AM, Palatkik said:

Top Gun: Maverick [2022]

8 hours ago, My Penis is hungry said:

Can you actually fly in the front line for that long?

I'm a fan, not of Top Gun per se, but of DCS world, where I can fly some of the planes, as an amateur with a mug of coffee. I did have a three monitor set up, but have now moved to an ultra wide monitor,  3440 x 1440, bloody good!

The filum, quite good, especially for the action shots, which were only slightly stretched from reality.

The first major, eye-opening shot, of the two f/A-18 s flying along together, horizontally, and are surprised when "maverick" in another  f/A-18, flies vertically, up between them, is flawed for the following  reasons.

The two are flying at 400~500 knots horizontally, "maverick" could not maintain a perfect 90° in relation to the other two, unless he is also travelling sideways (for him) as well as vertically, if that were the case his plane would be angled from the vertical and be slanted towards the horizontal, to maintain his vertical path in relation to the other two. But Hollywood has him pointed perfectly vertical.

Re: flying in the front line, in the movie, he is a "trainer" that is called on at the last minute to save the world.

I enjoyed the movie, but Tom Cruise's shots all were designed to make him look 20 again. This is not surprising as he is one of the producers. This 20 year old persona, fails when ho looks into the eyes of his love interest and the plastic surgery doesn't quite, let him pull off his McDreamy look. He looks a touch like a monger with new prey.

Overall a good movie.

The Undeclared War

TV Series 2022– 6 episodes

Hannah Khalique-Brown, Simon Pegg,  Mark Rylance, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, et al.

Riveting. It nearly explains the last 4 years but with the U.K. as the focus, instead of the U.S.A.

Without spoilers, I'll offer three observations.

1/. I really liked how,  when doing difficult or extensive coding, the coders drift off into an alternate reality to progress the work.

2/. a slight spoiler maybe: imagine if a traveller, had a suitcase with things hidden inside, perhaps the customs staff could also look at the burger wrappings that were discarded in the rubbish bin, way back down the airport.

3/. good performances by Pegg and Khalique-Brown and Rylance. Khalique-Brown is my idea of a YILF (Young'un I'd Like to F***).  Also Maisie Richardson-Sellers' character.

4/., yes I know I wrote three above, this one is for pedants and shows how old I'm getting when I say I didn't enjoy the Khalique-Brown character having a cry every 10 minutes. I guess they have to appeal to the Millennials and Gen Z.

I rate this as "watch it all in one go" at aprox 4.5 hours it'll need your attention to enjoy the detail.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png

Man Vs Bee [TV Limited Series]

A man finds himself at war with a bee while house sitting a luxurious mansion. Who will win, and what irreparable damage will be done in the process? Seven short 10 minute episodes tediously follows just one gag with annoying antics that barely raise a smile.