What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

The Courier [2020]

Businessman Greville Wynne is asked by a Soviet source to try to help put an end to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Based on the true story of how Wynne acted as a courier for MI6 to get secret data out of the Soviet Union from the agent Oleg Penkovsky. Excellent spy drama worth seeing.

Mayflies [2022 TV Limited Series]

A friendship forged between two growing lads in a small Scottish town in 1986. One weekend, they make a vow to each other to go at life differently. But then, 30 years on, half a life away, the phone rings with the worst kind of news. Brilliant two part UK TV drama series, great performances, story-line and memorable flashbacks to 80's Britain and some of the Manchester music scene.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:32 PM, Palatkik said:

Top Gun: Maverick [2022]

After more than thirty years of service one of the Navy's top aviators is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. A sequel to surpass the original 1986 Top Gun offering some of the best aerial combat scenes on screen. Worth seeing when the mood is suited for old school style summer blockbusters.

Top Gun: Maverick scored six Oscar nominations 

This is a great movie --

World War II: The Price of Empire

Because it spans the whole thing and from both sides and all sides. China vs Japan as well as Hitler vs everybody. I was impressed.

My understanding of WWII was quite limited, but now I feel like I've got a handle on the whole thing.

Like: Queen Victoria's death leaving three cousins, King of England, Tsar of Russia, and Kaiser of Germany to fuck it all up and after WWI, leaving things ripe for WWII.

Like: Hitler only getting 18% of the vote, but finagling the politics and the burning of the Reichstag, to glue himself to boss's seat and then embark on the bits we all know about.

Like: how big Japan's reach was in Asia and the Pacific.

And satisfyingly; Hitler and Eva taking Cyanide pills. And Hitler shooting himself in the temple to make sure...

From the extensive actual footage and the many stories from real people, who were there, I gained a very real sense, that no matter what side one was on, it was just hell.

Apparently the Italians weren't terrible soldiers, it's just that they were so poorly equipped they had nothing to fight with...

13 episodes

On 2/20/2023 at 4:10 AM, Palatkik said:

Triangle Of Sadness [2022]

A cruise for the super-rich sinks thus leaving survivors, including a fashion model celebrity couple, trapped on an island. A uniquely dark comedic swipe at the rich set in three chapters, fades towards the end but the central scenes on the yacht with the unhinged captain and vomit are hilarious. If you want something different this is worth a look.

I have just seen this, very good yes, interesting ending. As you say worth a look!

A Man Called Otto 2022

Tom Hanks is very good in this. If you remember "Grumpy Old Men" this is more like, Grumpy Old Man.

A sort of guide, to my hobby, being a grumpy old codger...

Well worth a look, uplifting even.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png

Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas 2013

originally titled "Michael Kohlhaas" the title was adjusted to suit the 'merican market.

Excellent. A European, rural themed, middle ages film.

Not great reviews, but slow as it is, I thought it, an excellent treatise on honour and practicality.

I liked this.

Stars5.png.49e269dccaf46cb884124f73e7140e0f.png

Everything Everywhere All at Once

This movie has the most nominations for the Oscar this year.  I thought Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu did well in supporting roles.  The rest not so much. The main characters, who played husband and wife, did not have the right chemistry in my opinion (but that may have been intended since they were contemplating divorce in the movie).  I didn't recognize Jamie Lee Curtis until I read the credits at the end.  😲   I remembered her only from A Fish Called Wanda.  She'd come a long way since then.