What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Citizen / Taxi Driver - a 1977 Thai movie about a country boy who comes to the city, gets a taxi, gets involved with a sassy heart-of-gold hooker, loses car, tries to find it, runs up against Thai corruption, mafia, cops.  The usual, you could say.  Definitely slow as molasses by modern standards, I kinda skipped through it since my patience was at low ebb.  For those missing Thailand and missing 1970s Bangkok at the same time, chance to see how much has changed, and how very much is still the same.  Street scenes often remarkably similar to what you might see today, even if the taxi model was a little different.

YimSiam

• 2 weeks later...

All Is True (2018) -  Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen

I don't normally go for High Brow movies, so this was a pleasant surprise for me.

When Shakespeare's Globe theatre burnt down, he apparently never wrote again, this is that story.  Very, very good. Well worth a watch.

One of the idiosyncrasies of Kodi and it's add-ons, is that sometimes when I choose a movie to watch, the link gets translocated to another movie of similar name.

So last night I thought I was going to watch the new Joker movie, that's raised some positive comment.

What I got was - Joker Game 2015  a japanese James Bond - like movie, with english subtitles.

It was very good. Aside from the plot wherein the Japanese spy saves the world... there was good action, a pretty female interest and some amusing portrayals of the English and Americans in the spy game. Several nods to James Bond and also Mission Impossible riffs in the music.

Over all, well worth the watch

Michael Caine is my watch of choice recently -

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 1988, in my view, a modern classic.

Play Dirty 1969 - interesting desert antics blowing up stuff, Rommel, worth a watch.

The Man Who Would Be King 1975 - Standard Caine and a very silly Sean Connery. Also Michael's wife Shakira, Wooof! Well worth the watch.

And this just in - 

If you want to be really depressed about the state of the world and the imbalance of power and inequality of us people

The Spider's Web: Britain's Second Empire  2017

The Spider's Web: Britain's Second Empire is a documentary released in Mexico in July 2017 which details the transformation of the UK as a colonial super power to a global financial power.

It suggests that the City of London Corporation and its banks have done tremendous damage to the world economy since the 1960s and that up to half of all offshore wealth (globally) is hidden in one of many British offshore jurisdictions. With contributions from leading experts, academics, former insiders and campaigners for social justice, the film claims to highlight how in the world of international finance, corruption and secrecy have prevailed over regulation and transparency, and the UK is right at the heart of this.

The film was co-produced by Tax Justice Network founder John Christensen, and is based in part on the book, Treasure Islands, by expert on British offshore havens Nicholas Shaxson; an interview with Shaxson is one of its major elements. Christensen was an advisor to the Queen’s government of the island of Jersey for a number of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spider's_Web:_Britain's_Second_Empire

And if you translocate and extrapolate to the rest of the world, the next financial crisis , could well be the last.