What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

War Machine

Brad Pitt's silly venture re: Gen McChrystal's Afghanistan stint. Boring, lifeless.

also...

Sand Castle

Similarly lackluster film about recent American military adventurism, this time in Iraq. Unimpressed.

YimSiam

Lady Macbeth [2017]

Superb imagery and script. Based on a 19th Russian novel, this adaptation set in rural England of a young sexually feisty woman who finds release with her oppressive husband’s farmhand but even he cannot match the levels to which she will stoop.

The Handmaids Tale - TV series Hulu - a well shot and imagined telling of the Margaret Atwood novel. IMDB says - Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

And it's not just her. Most women are now infertile, which brought on the change in society. the fertile ones are designated "breeders" and seemingly assigned to the rich and powerful to make babies.

I've seen several of the episodes and will watch more, as it's a compelling view. However: there's three parts to my observations.

1. Sometimes it's a bit chick flick, with all the feelings being rabbited on about, but as the subject matter is primarily women, I guess this is bearable.

2. The dystopian future is quite well portrayed, though no sci fi tech advances are in evidence.

3. This future should be and I think that this is the point of the novel, a feminist's worst nightmare, given the treatment of the women. I will make the point that there every third or fourth scene, there are many men being or having been hung, as part of or as the backdrop to the scene. So they're treating men badly too. But the point of it all, is the woman and how she's never gonna forget her previous life/husband/child etc etc.

I recommend this, with the proviso, that it's a little bit touchy feely at times.

Oh, and if you've got a few minutes, the comments in IMDB are quite revealing about the state of mind of the women who (I assume) live in 'merica today....

http://www.imdb.com/...ews?ref_=tt_urv

e.g. "The echoes of resemblance to the United States' current political administration create another layer of exceptionalism. Make no mistake, this is a political work. But it makes its case in a way that, like George Orwell's 1984 reflect our world back at us in a mirror that is both familiar and perverse", and because of it, it is extraordinary.

Saw the 10th and final episode of this series. I'll give it a 9/10 for entertainment and a 1/10 for any similarity, to anything happening, in a Western Democracy in the 21st century.

The Hunted (2003) - Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro, Connie Nielsen - In the green woods of Silver Falls, Oregon, Aaron Hallam, a trained assassin AWOL from the Special Forces, keeps his own brand of wildlife vigil. After Hallam brutally slew four deer hunters in the area, FBI Special Agent Abby Durrell turns to L.T. Bonham-- the one man who may be able to stop him. IMDB

Not unwatchable and the leads do the business acting wise (not Connie), some of the action is a bit unbelievable, but overall, a standard action flick, worth a watch.

_____

The Hunter (2011) - Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, Morgana Davies - Martin, a mercenary, is sent from Europe by a mysterious biotech company to the Tasmanian wilderness on a hunt for the last Tasmanian tiger. IMDB. Surprisingly good movie this, a good one if you like your wilderness, worth a watch.