What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

13 hours ago, zzzz said:

I remembered her only from A Fish Called Wanda.  She'd come a long way since then.

I remember a Fish Called Wanda, but I remember Kevin Cline as Otto most.

For me JLC is synonymous with 1994 True Lies starring opposite Arnie.

I'm watching "The Gold" at the moment, short - 6 part - series currently on BBC iPlayer or "those" sites. Tells the tale of the Brinks Mat robbery or rather the aftermath of how the crooks got rid of £26 million in gold bullion they didn't expect to find. Highlights some of the ineptitude present in 80's policing in the UK. I'm only halfway through it but an enjoyable watch. Very Sarf London.

Schwesterlein [2020]

My Little Sister, the English title, a young woman has bid goodbye to her ambitions as a playwright and the Berlin arts scene to live in Switzerland with her husband, who runs an international school. When her twin brother becomes terminally ill, she returns to Berlin. Excellent German drama and performances done mostly in the vernacular, with some French and English spoken. Strictly for those interested in the genre as a downer for most.

Living [2022]

Set in 1950s London, a humorless civil servant decides to take time off work to experience life after receiving a grim diagnosis. Based on the 1952 Japanese film "Ikuru", this version is a polished and uplifting nuanced story, a level above the usual UK feel good movies, worth seeing.

The Whale [2022]

A reclusive, morbidly obese English teacher attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. Mixed results from this theatrical style movie held up by one or two strong performances, otherwise overly melodramatic, joyless story of squalor and dull.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, zzzz said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once

This movie has the most nominations for the Oscar this year.  I thought Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu did well in supporting roles.  The rest not so much. The main characters, who played husband and wife, did not have the right chemistry in my opinion (but that may have been intended since they were contemplating divorce in the movie).  I didn't recognize Jamie Lee Curtis until I read the credits at the end.  😲   I remembered her only from A Fish Called Wanda.  She'd come a long way since then.

Jamie Lee Curtis won the Oscar!! She and Stephanie Hsu were competing for the same prize.

Poker Face 

TV series,10 episodes.

Charlie has an extraordinary ability to determine when someone is lying. She hits the road with her Plymouth Barracuda and with every stop, encounters a new cast of characters and strange crimes, she can't help but investigate and solve.

I enjoyed this for three reasons:

1 - the star, Natasha Lyonne, is a talent, portraying a youngish early 20s character, despite the occasional camera angle, giving lie to that subterfuge.

2 - Each episode has a star/s guesting, including: Adrien Brody, Chloë Sevigny, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Barkin, Nick Nolte, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Stephanie Hsu, Luis Guzmán, Rhea Perlman and Simon Helberg et al. Good acting on display.

3 - Its as though a bunch of talented actors, got together and decided to do their own, "Poirot", or "Columbo", each episode is not only a different story, but is quite a different scenario.

Enjoyable, a cut above, the usual consumer pap.

Poker-Face-696x392.jpg