What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

13 hours ago, Coss said:

Poker Face 

TV series,10 episodes.

Charlie has an extraordinary ability to determine when someone is lying. She hits the road with her Plymouth Barracuda and with every stop, encounters a new cast of characters and strange crimes, she can't help but investigate and solve.

I enjoyed this 

<snip>

Enjoyable, a cut above, the usual consumer pap.

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to give it a look see.

I have been hesitant to do so because I thought it was the aforementioned usual consumer pap

Flux Gourmet [2022]

Set at an institute devoted to culinary and alimentary performance, a collective finds themselves embroiled in power struggles, artistic vendettas, and some flatulence. Britain's Peter Strictland directs a fetish-fixated film that imagines a community of artists who turn food and cooking into soundscapes, this is as bizarre and wonderful as some of his other art-house works. Not for all tastes, but a feast for those looking for something weird.

Cocaine Bear [2023]

An oddball group of cops, criminals, tourists and teens converge on a Georgia forest where a huge black bear goes on a murderous rampage after unintentionally ingesting cocaine. This attempt at comedy horror based very loosely on something that actually happened is awful. Strictly for those looking for gross out lowest denominator humor when in a vegetative state of mind.

The Gold [2023 TV Limited Series]

Drama series inspired by true events surrounding the 1983 Brink's-Mat gold robbery, one of the UK's largest ever robberies, and the remarkable story that followed trying to find the trail on money. Entertaining 6 part crime drama, good performances, memorable musical soundtrack from the era. 

A Man Called Otto [2022]

Otto is a grump who's given up on life following the loss of his wife and wants to end it all. When a young family moves in nearby, he meets his match in quick-witted Marisol, leading to a friendship that will turn his world around. Routine family entertainment, over kills the predictable feel good melodramatics, ultimately ho-hum.

Kleo

Kleo is a bat shit crazy unofficial assassin' from East Germany "Stasi" who got sent to jail by the Stasi after a successful hit in West Germany. There she picks a fight and looses her baby,  (she would have made a lovely parent)

Unfortunately to everyone involved in sending her to prison, the wall comes down and she gets freed and then starts knocking off everyone who had anything to do with sending her to jail, she was innocent!  (well, apart from killing lots of people, )

Interesting for me as I was around that area and similar age as many in the series,

Interesting take on the West/East German re-unification, which must have been bloody hard to manage.

Nice to see early trance and dance music get a big profile, plus some obscure European bands, 

A Spy Among Friends

TV Mini Series 2022

In England in 1963, Nicholas Elliott works for MI6 but is left in turmoil when he learns his close friend and colleague Kim Philby had been secretly working as a double agent for the KGB and has defected to the Soviet Union.

Enjoyable telling of - presumably - what happened after the Profumo scandal

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png

The Night Agent

TV Series 2023

Low-level FBI agent, Peter Sutherland, works in the basement of the White House manning a phone that never rings--until the night it does--propelling him into a conspiracy that leads all the way to the Oval Office.

Normally a plot for a 90 minute movie, but spun out with good writing and acting, I enjoyed this.

I declare an interest, the gorgeous Luciane Buchanan the female lead is Tongan/Scottish and from Auckland here.

Somone once asked on this board, what Pacific Island women were like and the reply was, Jonah Lomu in a dress, well Luciane is not that, she's very pretty and typical of the Pacifika ladies found here.

Well worth a look - 4 stars

Stars4.png.ba36d3575b7db3bdee5c7adb53ef1fcc.png