What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

I went back 2 pages to see if someone commented on it and didn't see it. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

I liked it. I liked the premise of how Caesar got his intelligence. the remake of the Planet of the Apes stunk. I was disappointed. The orginal was basically an allegory for the civil rights movment. At least that's what the professor in my film class said. lol.

I went back 2 pages to see if someone commented on it and didn't see it. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

I liked it. I liked the premise of how Caesar got his intelligence. the remake of the Planet of the Apes stunk. I was disappointed. The orginal was basically an allegory for the civil rights movment. At least that's what the professor in my film class said. lol.

i loved the original franchise(well the first 3 at least).

hopefully it will be showing on the plane to/from thailand when i go in a couple of weeks,seems a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

otherwise i'm sure i'll it get on DVD whilst in thailand.

things are a lot easier these days with all the computer graphics which enable more spectacular scenes.

i've read the plotline and seen the trailers and it seems to me to be an amalgamation of at least 2 of the original films.

Was "Rise" in Korean or Thai language? Any difficulty in interpreting grunts and groans? At any rate, "Apes" will be next on my list (unless my wife MUST see "The Help" first).

A few days ago saw "Cowboys and Aliens". Enjoyed it much more than I thought that I would. You younger fellas might not appreciate some of the story, having not been around in the 40's, 50's and early 60's when "cowboy and indian" movies were hot. Story moved along nicely and the acting was quite good. Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford did good jobs in portraying their characters (which were borrowed from the early westerns). Olivia Wilde was "HOT" :drool: One of the things that separated this flick from other sci fi celluloids was the the script actually followed classic film structure. That made for cohesiveness, smoothe transitions, and minimal reliance of unnecessary special effects to entertain the viewers. Is it playing in the LOS now? It's just a story...and I found entertaining on its own. No need to try to find/manufacture some message or moral. This last finding was most satisfying, although the usual "there's a little bad in every good man, and a little good in every bad man"; the meek will sometimes surprise you when the chips are down (borrowed from dozens of war flicks).

Graded thusly:

Originality by combining the late 1800's in the Southwest U.S. with Aliens and their advanced technology and killing machines. Not for kiddies unless u want them waking up several nights in a row from nightmares. Grade A

Acting: Grade A for the "stars" and the supporting cast. (You know, it's an axiom in the movie biz that you "show" action and emotion...not talk it. The script allowed that to take place.)

Recommended for fans of westerns and escapism for a couple of hours. :up::up:

HH

A few days ago saw "Cowboys and Aliens". Enjoyed it much more than I thought that I would. You younger fellas might not appreciate some of the story, having not been around in the 40's, 50's and early 60's when "cowboy and indian" movies were hot. Story moved along nicely and the acting was quite good.

Recommended for fans of westerns and escapism for a couple of hours. :up::up:

HH

Won't be released in Europe before Aug. 15 (in Germany Aug. 25 frown.gif). I would have liked to see it today. Now I will have to check the filesharing sites...

Watched the Bourne trilogy (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum) last night. Got to bed about 4am this morning. Have watched them all individually a few times each but never one after the other. Three of the best action films ever imho.

I've never watched any of these but have heard them so highly spoken of I'll look around for the set.

I watched True Grit yesterday, the new one. Wasn't bad but then I like Jeff Bridges.

Then last night I dug out and watched "Support Your Local Sheriff".

Still hilarious after all these years.

He's got a heart as big as the whole outdoors, but he don't have one brain in his poor old head.

Watched the Bourne trilogy (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum) last night. Got to bed about 4am this morning. Have watched them all individually a few times each but never one after the other. Three of the best action films ever imho.

I love the series as well. I am very worried about Matt Damon not being part in future movies as well as the director (the reason why he left).

Sorta like the tv show Dexter, you're cheering for a 'bad guy'. Bourne is an assassin at the end of the day. With a good conscience now but still is what he is.

As a twist, and maybe it would have confused the audience too much. I'd have filmed the first one more like 'Memento' where you are placed more in the main character's view of things. Not knowing what's going but people are trying to kill you. Then later on explained. I'm being petty though, I really shouldn't complain. Its a great set of movies.

Gotta also say I'd have not stuck with the gypsy chick as he had. She was gonna get one or either of them killed at some point.