Overstaying

Coss

I'm curious, if one were to overstay a visa waiver entry, and just stay in LOS for say a year or two, presumably the authorities would ban one's return, when one left, or even arrest one and detain one.

But would they bother to seek one out whilst the overstaying is in action? This all assumes no crimes are involved , just overstaying.

Cheers

Coss

No you wouldn't be arrested at the airport.....detained only to pay the 20k baht fine and be welcomed back when you return with no issues. Trust me.

You will not be actively sought out as an overstayer but obviously don't do anything that would draw the attention of the police. You then would be detained and deported if caught.

At this point in time, anyone exiting the country on an overstay simply has to pay a 500 baht per day fine up to a maximum of 20,000 baht. There is no prohibition placed on future entry.

You never know however that some time in the future it may change - and also one day they might look at someone's Immigration record from the past and it might penalise you.

Really, it is best to avoid it.

Coss,

I concur with Troy and Stick. A friend of mine a few months ago went out with a 38 month overstay and paid the 20,000 THB fine. He then arrived at Thai Embassy in Singapore with the correct paperwork and applied for his Non Imm "B" visa (the reason he had to leave in the first place) and it was issued within 24 hours no questions asked.

As Stick correctly points out, even though overstays currently have no impact on future entries into Thailand one never knows if this will change in the future and / or if previous transgressions will be considered if the rules were to change.

Troy states that you may not be sought out as an overstayer but this may change due to stronger enforcement of the immigration act.

The Immigration Act of 1978, Sections 38 and 77 states that accommodation owners or landlords must report to immigration officials within 24 hours when foreigners take up residence in their premises or risk a fine of 2,000 baht, or up to 10,000 baht if that person is a manager of the accommodation

This is being strongly enforced in Pattaya nowadays and Pattaya Immigration have now set up on-line registration for hotels. The last couple of times I was in Pattaya overnight they took a copy of my current visa for reporting purposes.

If caught as an overstay there is a good possability you will be detained at IDC and then deported, I am not sure that a deported person is then declared Personna Non Gratia.

I fully agree with Stick, its best to avoid it.

Archived