Bullshit

khunsanuk

Hi,

I think of 'toh lae' as something a person is, not as an exclamation on what I think of something.

I.e. a person can be 'toh lae' (and I get the impression it is mostly used with girls/women), but an idea or opinion can not.

Sanuk!

If I put forth something as a fact in English and the person I'm talking to responds with "bullshit!", I take it as an indictment of me (meaning I am "toh lae"), not a questioning of the veracity of what I'm put forth. Also, as I have been called "toh lae" several times, haha, I can assure you it's not only used toward women.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, "toh lae" is the closest in meaning, but it is very strong, should only be used between close friends...and if you have a farang face, it may not even be tolerated by your close Thai friends...

These days I hear young thai people jokingly paraphrase this expression into: ส�รอ��อร�รี strawberry or just ส�รอ Sadtroh.

These days I hear young thai people jokingly paraphrase this expression into: ส�รอ��อร�รี strawberry or just ส�รอ Sadtroh.

not sure what this has to do with tohlae; does not even sound similar! mind to elaborate?

Same meaning, just has a softer ring to it.

It´s slang obviously and how it has come to cover the same meaning, I have no idea. Used a lot online.

Yes, this is current teenager slang, meaning "liar" or maybe more accurately "you're full of it"...socially not the same as toh lae (though semantically it is essentially the same), since it can only be used with a specific type of social equal (a fellow teenager)...

The girl sitting next to me says that "sadtroh" is used because it sounds like "dtoh", a small south Thailand fruit that has a foul smell, and "sadtrohberry/strawberry" is a further embellishment. She says there is an old (10+ years) Thai song called "Strawberry" in which a girl accuses some guy of lying to her.

She frequently uses "rai saa ra" to describe a silly movie or behavior. She says it might be used if someone, say, gave you some trivial gift after a major buildup of how much you were going to like it, in which case it might be hurtful to the target.

Archived