Saudis are that stupid????

drogon

I can't believe that so many Saudis are that stupid....

"Sewing machine hoax hits S Arabia"

Please, tell me this is a joke.

:banghead:

--------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7999168.stm

--------------------------------

Sewing machine hoax hits S Arabia

Singer sewing machine

Singer machines were reported to be changing hands for exorbitant prices

Saudi police say they are investigating a hoax that has seen people rushing to buy old-fashioned sewing machines for up to $50,000 (£33,500).

The Singer sewing machines are said to contain traces of red mercury, a substance that may not exist.

But it is widely thought that it can be used to find treasure, ward off evil spirits or even make nuclear bombs.

It is believed that tiny amounts can sell for millions of dollars, the Saudi Gazette reported.

The paper said that trade in the sewing machines was brisk across the country.

Rumours about the sewing machines have been spreading for days by word of mouth and over the internet, it said.

These included rumours that foreign experts and companies had been buying up Singers.

In Dhulum, it was reported that people had broken into two tailors' shops to steal the machines.

In the city of Madina, people were holding mobile phones up to the machines, due to the belief that they could be used to detect the presence of red mercury.

An interior ministry spokesman said authorities were trying to discover who had spread the rumours.

"We have to find out who started this hoax," he told Reuters news agency.

"People hope to make profit," he added. "This is no different to cases of citizens who put their money in untrustworthy schemes."

Wish I still had the Bangkok Post report from years ago when a Saudi tourist checked into a hotel, went out to change his currency ... then couldn't find his hotel again. He couldn't even remember the name of the hotel. A taxi driver drove him to various hotels for 3 days, but the Saudi didn't recognise any of them. The cabbie finally took him to a TV station, which broadcast a request for any hotel that thought the Saudi was their guest to contact them.

Flashermac - for my sins I work as a Tourist Police Volunteer in Bangla road, Patong.

I reckon I get 1 incident per week where the drunk tourist can't remember his hotel name or location...

If you're going to get p*ssed, make sure you have your hotel namecard in your pocket!!

Simon

How about Koreans. Are they that stupid? :p

The Police Immigration Bureau yesterday announced the arrest of two African men and the recovery of money-forging tools and blank black-coloured papers resembling US dollar banknotes worth Bt2.12 billion.

A 36-year-old Guinean man, Shoma Mohamed Ramai, and accomplice Edwin Smith,35, from Botswana were arrested at a hotel room in Bangkok's Ratchada Resort Hotel, said the bureau's deputy chief Pol Maj General Pitak Jarusombat.

The duo allegedly tried to lure two Korean tourists to buy the special tools and chemicals that could turn the black paper into usable banknotes.

Pitak said the two suspects told police they were tourists to Thailand who got the tools and chemicals from other persons, whom they declined to identify. Police initially cancelled their visas, prepared for their repatriation and blacklisted them from re-entering Thailand, he said. However, if the Korean tourists filed a police complaint against the duo, they would face fraud charges.

The Korean tourists told police they were fooled by a money-forging gang once before in which they lost 120 million won (Bt3.2million) and recently Korean compatriots sold them golden-coloured lead items as real gold.

About 10 years ago I was in Amsterdam. When I left the hotel they told me to leave the key with them. I picked up a card off of the desk so I could find my way back, however, after a few decent smokes and a lot of beer I looked at my card to get back to my hotel and found that I had picked up an ad for rental cars. Luckily I remembered the name of the street (something like Raad Haus) that the hotel was on but since the hotel was up about 4 flights of stairs it took me awhile to find my room. What I had smoked was what we used to call 'good shit'.

I worked in Saudi for 7 years back in the 90s and there are some dumb-asses there. :monkey: My ex-girlfriend worked in a hospital and this young Saudi man brought his young bride that he had been married to for 4 months to the hospital and demanded to know why she was not getting pregnant :deal: . The OBGYN examined her and told them she was still a virgin :stupid: !!!

The idiot had been doing the poor girl in the ass :shocked: for 4 months. He told the doctors his cousin had shown him how to have sex???? :wanker::grinyes::nono:

Saudi Court Refuses to Block Marriage of Girl, 8, to Older Man

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

* ShareThis

Outraged human rights groups are calling the decision by a Saudi court to -- not once, but twice -- refuse to void the marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a man several years her senior a form of human trafficking.

On Saturday, for the second time since December, a court in the Saudi town of Unaiza upheld the marriage of the Saudi girl to the much older man, on the condition that he does not have sex with her until she reaches puberty, Reuters reported.

Organizations like UNICEF were troubled by the ruling, calling it an abuse of the child's rights.

â??UNICEF is deeply concerned by reports that Saudi Arabian tribunals have decided not to annul the marriage of an 8-year-old girl,â? the U.N. childrenâ??s agency said in a statement on its Web site. â??Irrespective of circumstances or the legal framework, the marriage of a child is a violation of that childâ??s rights."

"This particular girl was sold, literally," Dr. Ali Alyami, founder and director of the Center for Democracy and Human Rights in Saudi Arabia, told FOXNews.com. "This is pure human trafficking. The girl's father was in need of money and he sold her."

Financial problems prompt some Saudi families to marry off their underage daughters to much older men -- a practice the kingdom's chief cleric Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdelaziz Al al-Sheikh endorses. Media reports claim that the 8 year-old girl's father arranged the marriage in exchange to clear his debts with the man.

The ruling reportedly prompted Saudi Justice Minister Mohamed al-Issa to call for regulations on such marriages with the goal of ending "arbitrariness by parents and guardians in marrying off minor girls," an announcement seen as jargon used to satisfy opponents.

"This is rubbish, they've been saying this for a long time," said Alyami. "It's just to silence their critics. They will pass something just to calm the situation down. There will be no drastic changes to the system."

Alyami said the ruling further contributes to a "very nasty" environment for women in Saudi Arabia due to "oppression and condemnation" solely based on their gender.

"It's a sad moment for women's rights and particularly of young girls in Saudi Arabia. It's a gross and huge violation of human rights," added Ibrahim AlMugaiteeb, president and founder of the Human Rights First Society.

"The judge's refusal to nullify the marriage means that every young girl whose father is bankrupt or in debt can sell their girls just because he's getting the right price," AlMugaiteeb continued.

Alyami, meanwhile, called on U.S. officials to intervene.

"First and foremost, our government should condemn this," he said. "President Obama should lead the way."

Officials from the U.S. State Department said they had no immediate comment but planned to release a statement later Tuesday.

Click here to read more on this story from Reuters.

FOXNews.comâ??s Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.

Archived