New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

Maybe this could be a sticky.

I and some friends have been researching this by taking money (or not LOL) from various ATMs. They all warn about the fee before processing the transaction. So far, the results, using various USA-issued ATM cards:

[color:green]NO[/color] fee :thumbup: :

-- Bank of Ayutthaya

-- Kasikorn Bank (aka K-Bank)

-- Whatever one at the 7-11 at the corner of Suk & 22 (LOL)

:redflag: Charging the B150 fee:

-- Krung Thai Bank

-- Siam Commercial Bank

Feel free to add to the list (I will too) to help all.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD,

Yep, using Kaisakorn Bank ATMs now. Bangkok Bank was charging the 150 baht fee. I used to use Kaisakorn Bank when it was called Thai Farm Bank. Then switched to Bangkok Bank a few years ago. Back to Kaisakorn now.

The thing that gets me is recently (a few months back) all the ATMs stopped letting me take out anything above $100 USD (my limit is set by me at my US bank to let me take out up to $500 USD). No fees, just a pain in the ass as if I want more than around 3500 baht I have to reinsert my card and take out more. Talked to my bank and my settings are still the same... 500 bucks limit daily. So it looks to me as though this was a precusrsor to these odious fees some are adding on. Limit to 100 bucks and each time you want more they grab an extra 150 baht. Pisses me off. The thing is many times I just want to take out 500 or 1,000 baht. To be charged 150 baht when taking out a mere 500 baht is totally ludicrous.

Also, how they justify this 150 baht in a country where 200 baht is a day's pay for many citizens here is beyond me. It totally smacks of a 'let's fuck the rich foreigners' attitude. I'll probably now just open an account here at Kaisakorn and transfer money into the account when needed. But, as I saw recently with a friend trying to get some Aussie dollars out of an account he has here the runaround was insane in that he had to physically go to Bangkok where he opened the account to be able to get his money out. Ridiculous in this day of computer technology.

150 baht a transaction to me is taking the piss. There is no way they can justify these high fees.

Cent

Current list...

NO fee :thumbup: :

-- Bank of Ayutthaya

-- Kasikorn Bank (aka K-Bank)

-- Whatever one is at the 7-11 at the corner of Suk & 22 (LOL)

-- Government Savings Bank

:redflag: Charging the B150 fee:

-- Krung Thai Bank

-- Siam Commercial Bank

-- Bangkok Bank

-- Thanachart Bank

Cheers,

SD

I think it is just a matter of time before all the banks are charging. What is probably holding it up now is the software and accounting changes that have to be done.

Cent, I can't believe you can only take USD 100 out of an ATM. I never have a problem taking the full 20k baht (about USD 570 or so) with my US ATM cards. The only problem I ever have is if the ATM doesn't have any thousand baht bills, then then the number of bill it can issue limits the amount.

TH

TH,

Believe it. :) There was an article, in the BKK Post I believe it was, that I read a few months ago about the banks starting to do this for US/Western based ATM accounts. About 2 weeks later I was no longer able to take out my full amount in one transaction. I CAN get the full 500 dollar amount, but need to do 5 transactions to get the full amount. Pain in the ass really. None of my other American friends are having this problem, so, I phoned my bank in the states and they said nothing has changed on their end (I still have the 500 dollar limit in place - no change on the American bank's end). But to this day I still cannot get more than 100 USD out of the damn ATMs (have tried them all here) in one transaction. Will visit my bank in the states in July to make sure this is not some screw up on their end. I especially want to solve this little conumdrum if all the damn banks here will start charging the 150 baht fee. But will likely just start an account here at a Thai bank and use the Thai ATM card.

I'll see if I can find the article on this that I read months ago in the paper. Might be a thread over on ThaiVisa.com on it. I'll check around and report back on it if I can find it. The thing is I can still get the 500 dollar limit in one day, but only 100 bucks at a time. Infuriating.

Yeah try withdrawal at the counter, but be prepared to identify oneself with passport or other valid/proper ID.

Currently UOB although also bank association member doesn't charge the 150bt fee yet.

By the way the 150bt fee is oddly presented after choosing amount to withdraw & then a choice to proceed or not with the (unreal) additional fee!

Welcome to LOS - TIT!!!

Archived