New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

What ThaiHome says above is correct as far as Visa/MC/DinersClub, etc. transactions on US cards used for any transaction in a foreign currency, whether the transaction is cash or a charge (a hotel room, a meal, shopping, etc.). As I said in an earlier statement, the transaction fee will vary, Citibank is 3 percent, FIA (which used to be MBNA)is 2 percent, Bank of America I believe is 3 percent, Capitol One is 0 percent (yes I said zero). Bank of Scotland by the way charges 2 percent. You can do a search on google and get a listing of most international banks and what they charge (http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/credit_card_surcharges.htm). Again, we are speaking of only Visa/MC credit cards NOT debit cards.

As far as debit cards and ATM cards go, your local USA bank or credit union (whoever issued the debit or atm card, and they are different) will tell you what the charge is for foreign cash transactions. My credit union charges 1 percent, and I see it hit my ledger about 3 days after I do a foreign transaction here in Thailand. If I take out 10,000 baht (and the 150 baht fee is rolled into the exchange in my case), I will see a hit for $295.40 (for example) and then an additional ledger entry for $2.95 a few days later.

The 150 baht surcharge is above and beyond all this. In my case, it is rolled into the exchange, and is NOT listed as a separate charge when I look into my ledger and see the exchange entry.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Government Savings Bank (ATM at Asoke BTS station):

-- NO fee

-- B34.14/US$ (BBL rate is B33.73)

Using a MasterCard ATM/debit card from a small bank in the States on the Jeanie/Plus/NYCE/Star networks.

Cheers,

SD

Archived