New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

Stupid question...Is UOB-- United Overseas Bank? Does the lack of ATM fee apply at all branches?

Is it possible (or plausible) to just open up a bank account in Thailand?..I will be traveling for a month and don't want to bring a huge wad of cash (I don't like Travelers Checks)

Also, off topic...Anyone ever rent a cell phone for a short while..if so any good? I have verizon and the rates for using it in Thailand are insane

Thanks

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, UOB is United Overseas Bank. In theory can open an account with no visa or work permit, but who knows in practice. If not, try Kasikorn Bank at Suk & 33. Farang friendly.

But why open an account? If you plan upon xferring a large sum for the month, then I can see it. Otherwise, just use the UOB or GSB ATMs and get money that way.

Is your phone a GSM one, with a SIM card? Then just buy a local SIM card for B250 and swap out your Verizon one. If not, then rentals are OK (I do so in Japan) or just buy a cheapy GSM (can be had for less than B2k -- B1250 example) and get a local SIM.

Cheers,

SD -- has SIM cards for a dozen Asia-Pac countries + USA...

Thanks for the quick info SD...you are the smartest dude I know.

I think I will just transfer all my money into my new girlfriend's account. I met her at Soi Nana last trip and she was kind enough to give me her account number and info on how I can easily do this.

Hope she is able to get off work and pick me up at the airport...

CP, good plan to save on atm fees by use of local gf's account however I must warn you that particularly with soi nana girls in bkk there's lately a (unverifiable) rumour on the internet that it may be slightly risky fx'ing ALL your money into her account at once as the BoT may interfere (if you have more than 20kusd/net worth) :rolleyes:

5555+

• 3 months later...

According to the latest Stickman the Japanese Bank Aeon is still the only bank not charging the 150 baht fee for credit card transactions.

I'm only interested in Pattaya locations.

I followed eyebee's link to Aeon website's ATM locations in Pattaya . There seems to be only one:

AEON Sport Pattaya Nua 221/19 Moo 5 Pattaya Nua Rd. Nakuea ,Banglamung, Chounburi 20150 (038) 370960-1 (038) 411-187 (038) 411-187

PLACE : AEON Sport Pattaya Nua

ADDRESS :

221/19 Moo 5 Pattaya Nua Rd. Nakuea ,Banglamung, Chonburi 20150

Where is that near?.. how far from Dolphin roundabout? Presumably it should read Aeon "Spot" and "Naklua".

There used to be an Aeon ATM in Carrefour on Pattaya Klang, but last time I went it said out of service.

Is there anyone in Pattaya who has "recently" used an Aeon ATM there, and where is it please?

Thanks for your help.

:beer:

Archived