New ATM fees -- who's charging them?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it is a good thing that the fees that US banks charge for foreign ATM withdrawals are now out in plain sight. The fact that many (including BofA) used to hide them in the exchange rate is the basis for a class action suit.

TH

sipbkk,

so where was the inaccurate part exactly on foreign atm cards?

sure domestic cards can be charged fees even within the same bank, but since we need to discuss & clear everything USA before we can continue the LOS discussion - what is the fee for foreign cards in US ATMs? i.e. do all banks charge a fee, some or none? usually totally different legislation between domestic/foreign just like we now see in LOS in latest change of banking code :banghead:

get it now - FOREIGN card fee - LOS is out of line alone?

you seem to miss the core of the issue yet again which IS that no other countries banks charhe foreign atm cards - get it?

All banks back in my home country charge a fee unless it is the bank that I have an account with and the ATM card is with that bank.

For those traveling to LOS and using a home Visa/Mastercard - check the fine print on the exchange rate and extra fees the bank cards charge for charging overseas/foreign country.

Worldfun said:

"I don't recall being charged any fees by Lao or Viet banks when using my free ATM withdrawal cards issued in EU/Asia."

I am sorry to hear that your memory is not very good but I am sure you are happy that I helped you out.

What a bunch of lying cunts.

In addition, they are mixing everything in their explanation.

Expats will find a way around this but the ones who will be the most pissed will be the tourists.

Tourists don't have a Thai bank account, tourists who are in Thailand won't be able to use moneygram or WU -> so they either bring a lot of cash then have to exchange them (which tourists usually don't do as keeping so much money in a safe is not safe, or at least this is what they may think)

or use ATM debit/CC cards...

Thai way of thinking:

Because (in my case) a wire transfer to my Thai bank account will costs me around 40 euros means they can increase the ATM fee (on their side).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/16497/local-banks-defend-foreign-atm-fees

I did a quick calculation:

Say on my total stay I retrieve 5000 euros, around 230K bht more or less, with my foreign CC/debit cards.

Knowing I can only get 20K bht at the ATM (more or less):

Every time I retrieve 20K bht: 150 bht Thai commission + 850 bht from my own bank (for ATM retrievals in countries outside EU)

= 1K bht for every 20K bht I take out

For 230K = in total commission/fees around 11K bht

for my entire stay.

If, I make a wire transfer to my Thai bank account:

It will cost me around 60 euros in commission = +-2500 bht

As I said, people with a bank account in Thailand will be able to avoid this nonsense rip-off.

Just that Thailand wishes to have tourists back...this is the best way to piss them.

+ taking into account that tourists usually don't take out 20K bht each time they go to the ATM

(no need of so much, fear of carrying too much money etc...)

If a couple of tourists retrieves 100k bht during the stay, in 5k increments each.

Total Thai fee = 3K bht + add to this of course their own home country bank fees.

Has anyone looked into using Moneybookers? Fees appear low. .5 Euro to upload from your domestic bank to Moneybookers. And then 90 baht to download from Moneybookers to your Thai bank. However, they do add 2% to their "wholesale exchange rates" so you might be able to avoid this if you can download in Euros.

I'm sure there are funding limits but don't know what they are. Anyone used this?

Archived