Human trafficking

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the term human trafficking gets thrown around very loosely. It differs from people smugglingor where they voluntarily request smuggler's service for fees and there may be no deception involved in the agreement. On arrival at their destination, the smuggled person is usually free. On the other hand, the trafficking victim is enslaved, or the terms of their debt bondage are highly exploitative. The trafficker takes away the basic human rights of the victim.

Exactly!

Cheers,

SD

But if you force me to consider the punter/whore transaction, I'd say that the punter is getting the far better end of the deal. In the end, the whore is the one who makes a life-choice and has many more consequences to deal with. But the whore is also likely to be making those choices as a poorly educated and inexperienced 17 or 18 year old. It's a bit lopsided. It's like negotiating a business deal with hillbillies.

But then again, how many stories do you read where the punter goes back to farangland, broke, with tail between his legs. Many, many more that the opposite...

Cheers,

SD

As for trafficking, there was a raid here, or series of raids, aimed to crack down on human trafficking...when the smoke cleared, only 2 of the 100+ girls "freed" were claiming to be trafficked/forced.

As for Issaarn girls, there is no doubt in my mind that many, maybe even most know exactly what they are getting into. Many have sisters, cousins friends from the village etc who tell them the deal. They see the money it can provide and want in. Other girls want no parts of it and don't go into that line of work.

As most of us know, there are a lot more women in Thailand who DO NOT Whore, than those who do. Hence, I don't think poverty alone drives prostitution.

I suppose it's not easy to draw a line delimiting what is trafficking and what is not.

I know of places in the world where daughters are joining the p4p business under more or less insisting pressure from their own parents. I wouldn't know for sure if it's the case in LoS as well but I would bet it is. In such cases, considering how important is family in the societies I'm talking about, I think it's fair to say that it equates being coerced into it. Familial trafficking, sort of.

However, at the end of the day, what is important is how the girls cope with it. It seems to be rare that you encounter a Thai BG that shows signs of abject suffering doing that activity, on the contrary many seem to love the fucked-up lifestyle, not realizing completely that it doesn't last long.

Just my 2 cents, what do I know?

Archived