Human trafficking

<< They choose to take the easy way and sell themselves versus going to school and getting a real job. >>

But do many of them have that option? Education costs money and almost all are from poor families. For the average BG - and even the "painter bar" gals - the choice is between a low paying job such as a maid or factory worker and a much more profitable life as a sex worker. I've met a fair number who would actually rather do that low paying job, but family pressure (and maybe a child or two of their own) pushed them the other way.

The striking thing is that it's actually a very small percentage of the poor farm girls who do go into the sex trade. Not every gal can force herself to sleep with strangers, no matter what the money.

:dunno:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We've all heard the arguments about bar fines and the girls free choice, but we all know it's...bollocks"

What makes you say that? There is not ONE girl in any bar I've ever been to in LoS that doesn't know why she is there and that she wants to be there.

They certainly do have free choice. They choose to take the easy way and sell themselves versus going to school and getting a real job. In their shoes, I can't say I would not do the same thing.

But to say it is coerced is pure white knight fantasy.

Cheers,

SD

No, they don't have free choice. So many are sold into indentured servitude and it's not fantasy. Put your drink down and consider the facts.

555555555555 I have considered the facts. I have also lived here for many years. You, on the other hand, appear to have been reading too many Nick Kristof* articles and watching too much Rudi Bakhtiar on Fox...

FACT: there ain't no one holding a gun to anyone's head the the farang bar scene. Local scene, I don't know. Maybe so, but not enough evidence there for me to state that with confidence.

FLASH: They do have choices. As you said, 99% of the gals do not get into the scene. The ones that do are lazy & greedy, wanting it all now. Not any different than teenagers anywhere in our conspicuous consumer society. They want the new B20k mo-by, they want the gold, they want the easy work (what's hard about partying all night with your mates?). They don't care about the "morals" of society. I actually applaud them in some ways, using the tools at their disposal to get what they want & snubbing those who think what they do is "bad;" and as I said, quite possible would have done the same thing had I been born in that circumstance. But none of that makes it any less a conscious choice to enter this line of work.

Cheers,

SD

* - Remember him? A NYT writer who bought out a Khmer hooker, paid her money, and set her up in a small business. He returns to check up on her three months later and finds...yup, she's hooking again. Why? The store was "too hard" and she "made more money" hooking. He was shocked and appalled. Us old Asia hands were just laughing at him. Good for her, I say.

But do many of them have that option? Education costs money and almost all are from poor families. For the average BG - and even the "painter bar" gals - the choice is between a low paying job such as a maid or factory worker and a much more profitable life as a sex worker. I've met a fair number who would actually rather do that low paying job, but family pressure (and maybe a child or two of their own) pushed them the other way.

My current muse falls into this category. North country girl, reasonable education given her background including graduation from a vocational college. A string of poor paying dull as ditchwater jobs, think shopping mall servitude. Unattached and happy to be out there having fun meeting people and getting as much sex as she needs and wants from a string of selected guys, she's a mite choosy. On top of all that she gets paid, and about 4 times what she was making in a regular job. She does say that swinging on a pole 7 nights a week is boring too but the fringe benefits make up for that.

If there is any exploitation going on in her case then it is her exploiting customers with her bag of lady tricks.

On balance and over a 10 year period I think I've met more girls who enter the business for a change of pace and to live a little escaping their dreary lives with the hope of a better payback than those who are reluctant and begging to escape their unfortunate position.

I don't go out to the bars much these days, but for years I did several times a week. I met a fair number of new dancers who tried the scene for a few times, but simply couldn't do it. They said they could take the dancing and even the nudity, but shagging strangers was too much for them. SD is right about the greed. The ones who stay at it do so almost entirely for the money.

I know three Farangs who paid for their regular BG to learn a trade - two as hairdressers, 1 as a dressmaker. All 3 gals quit their new profession in less than a year and went back to the bar. The hard work was a part of it, but the main reason was they just weren't making enough money to live the style of life they'd become accustomed to. God knows what they'll do when they exceed their "use by" date, but they never seem to think that far ahead. I've only met a couple of BGs who actually put some money in the bank. The rest spend it as fast as they can and then look around for more.

p.s. Several of my colleagues one night ran into a university student they recognised ... freelancing in a coffee shop! She told them she wanted 3,000 baht ST. Greed is not restricted to poor and uneducated country gals. :(

Not upset at all. No reason to be.

But I think SD pretty much nailed it. I really don't have much more to add cuz your mind is made up. I can tell you from personal knowledge that the girls that I am aquainted with are not pressured to say yes if they'd rather not go. That's just my experience and maybe not someone elses.

Archived