Birth certificate issue...need advice

My friend and former teacher in Bangkok has moved woth his wife to Arizona and is having trouble getting her visa. I'm going to paste his problem below, and would appreciate advice from those of you who know better than we do. Thanks in advance...

It seems that Immigration will not accept what we submitted as Pin's birth certificate.

In Ratanaburi (Surin) the records are not kept as the US Immigration would like.

Pin has asked her mother & father to go to the Amphur (gov't building?) for a second time.

Gov't officials there say that Pin has to go in person to get the birth certificate (new law stating that

the person whose name is in the birth certificate must be the one applying for that certificate).

I think this is not correct. I think that the bureaucrats just gave Pin's mother & father the run around.

In any event, Pin cannot leave the country as her travel visa has expired.

Any suggestions

to get (tricky) things done in the Thai system it can be very helpful to know someone within the system or at least bring someone (important enough) who can argue their point & thus make it more difficult for the officials to deny the service needed (issuance of birth certificate).

that being said & the birth being many years ago I would not pin my hopes too high.

all I can say is when giving birth at hospitals it's normal for the hospital to arrange the birth certificates (Thai & English version from foreign office) without the baby going anywhere near the amphur herself, so in theory it should be possible although I'm talking BKK here provinces the smaller the worse for 'decent service' unlogically perhaps :hmmm:

best of luck

it is not rare for Thais from North/East that they have problems about their birth certificates or family book.

There are often inaccuaracies.

I know one who even don't have a birth certificate. Their parents have lost it, somewhere, anyhow. At least and many visits in amphurs she got a new one. :hmmm:

My friend and former teacher in Bangkok has moved woth his wife to Arizona and is having trouble getting her visa. I'm going to paste his problem below, and would appreciate advice from those of you who know better than we do. Thanks in advance...

It seems that Immigration will not accept what we submitted as Pin's birth certificate.

In Ratanaburi (Surin) the records are not kept as the US Immigration would like.

Pin has asked her mother & father to go to the Amphur (gov't building?) for a second time.

Gov't officials there say that Pin has to go in person to get the birth certificate (new law stating that

the person whose name is in the birth certificate must be the one applying for that certificate).

I think this is not correct. I think that the bureaucrats just gave Pin's mother & father the run around.

In any event, Pin cannot leave the country as her travel visa has expired.

Any suggestions

Sounds like she has overstayed. Sounds like another headache. Has she contacted the Thai embassy in Los Angeles?

Don't know if she's contacted the embassy...but I was under the impression that while the permanent resident visa (I'm assuming that's what they are after) is in process...the visa is automatically extended. That's what they told me when it took a year and a half to process Dee's paperwork. They just said we couldn't leave the country without getting an additional visa...or the process would have to start over.

Based on what I've heard here...it seems they would need to get the travel visa, have her go to the Amphur herself and get the needed documents...or hire a lawyer in Thailand to try and do it for her. Yes?

Having taken 10 months to get my wife and her 3 children their P.R. visas, I can vouch that both Thai officials and the U.S. State Dept./Homeland Security can be anal concerning documents. My wife lived in Chiang Mai but was born in Lampang, about 90 minutes south of C. M. She did not have a birth certificate. Her father had died, so she went to Lampang to the Amphur and some other government agency (sorry, I can't remember which one) with her mother and brother-in-law, who is a retired mid level police officer in Lampang (which helped as he know many of the people my wife had to deal with in Lampang to get a new birth certificate issued). The mother and brother in law both had to take oaths that my wife was born on Aug. 23, 1973 in Lampang. I believe that we got the new birth certificate from the amphur. I think that the actual time that we spent in Lampang was 4 hours. I would recommend a lawyer handle it (preferably an immigration lawyer but more importantly a lawyer from your wife's hometown with connections). I can give you the name of the immigration lawyer in Bangkok that I used for my wife's interview at the Embassy if you want it. I wouldn't recommend your wife leaving the U.S. until she has her P.R. visa.

all I can say is when giving birth at hospitals it's normal for the hospital to arrange the birth certificates (Thai & English version from foreign office) without the baby going anywhere near the amphur herself, so in theory it should be possible although I'm talking BKK here provinces the smaller the worse for 'decent service' unlogically perhaps :hmmm:

I can say it works the same way in Udon Thani.

Archived