Question about Thai Nationality Law

Translated excerpt of Thai Nationality Code:

Section 7. The following persons acquire Thai nationality by birth:

(1) A person born of a father or a mother of Thai nationality, whether within or outside the Thai Kingdom;

(2) A person born within the Thai Kingdom except the person under Section 7 bis paragraph one.

Section 7. bis. A person born within the Thai Kingdom of alien parents does not acquire Thai nationality if at the time of his birth, his lawful father or his father who did not marry his mother, or his mother was:

(1) the person having been given leniency for temporary residence in Kingdom as a special case;

(2) the person having been permitted to stay temporarily in the Kingdom;

(3) the person having entered and resided in the Thai Kingdom without

permission under the law on immigration.

My wife and I are not Thai and do not have residence in Thailand, therefore our daughter, born in Thailand did not get Thai nationality at birth, I suppose because of provision (2) of section 7 bis. However, I find the provision to be somewhat ambiguous (perhaps a problem of translation?): â??the person having been permitted to stay temporarily in the Kingdomâ? could be interpreted as applicable to ANY alien staying in Thailand as far as all visas are temporary.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there any chance that if asked to, the Thai State would consider our daughter as a Thai National anyway, even though our stay in the kingdom at her birth was under a tourist visa?

2. If not, does having a Thai birth certificate facilitate an hypothetical future application for Thai nationality?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never really heard of citizenship being granted in such a case, though I'd imagine it would be a help if she applied for permanent residency or Thai nationality at a later date. But I'm just guessing. Maybe you should ask the question of www.thaivisa.com

Thais are quite nationalistic, and if your daughter learns to speak fluent Thai they'd probably be more sympathetic. One of the complaints I've heard from Thais about Tiger Woods is that despite having a Thai mother, he can't speak Thai and has shown no interest in the country.

Yeah, so far that's what I know. It sucks that they changed the law; apparently, a few years ago she would have been automatically Thai; anyway that's what we were told by Thai immigration policemen.

Who knows, perhaps they'll revert the law to its former version? Maybe I should make some offerings at a Wat.

Archived