So is accessing gambling sites risky in Thailland?

Hi guys, just a quick question. If I was in bangkok, and earning money from fixed odds horse racing,(I know its sounds like a mugs game, haha, but I am actually making money doing it, consistently) and also the spreadbetting financial companies, using the likes of victor chandler, ladbrokes, William Hill, Betfair, and financial firms like IG Index etc etc, would I be at risk?

I mean the sites do work? I know it is illegal but would the authorities know you are accessing these sites? Would I get the MIB at knocking my door? Any help on this would be appreciated it.

I would guess your biggest risk would be letting anyone, especially a thai person, know that you are doing this. So just avoid letting even your trusted tilac from ever suspecting your hobby. Don't tell anyone you meet in a bar about it. And don't ever post to an internet forum about it either. Good luck!

Oddly I know a little about this as a IT challenged friend recently discovered he couldn't access the betting sites he was using.

Seems IP addresses coming from Thailand/Load and some other SE Asia countries where banned as well as USA.

I gave him some anon browsing tips and problem partly solved.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be checking out some online poker rooms when i get back to bangkok.....

The feeble censorship attempts seem to come and go... best to do some research on ways to get round it - google 'Tor network' and torpark.... amongst many others, some free as for Tor networks and some paid...

I have a firefox browser based version of Tor, wil need to check out how it works or not with the gambling sites...

Check out this link for proxy web surfing info etc

http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/anonymous.shtml

Coops

Cheers Coops for the technical advice, and thanks to everyone else. So the risk is in who knows...I never here of too many people getting nicked for it. Being discrete seems to be the key. I know I mentioned it on here. But no one will know where I ll stay or my business. And if need be I ll just call the bookies with the phoneline account using skype or some other economical method.

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

I've played on fulltilt and pokerstars in LOS from my hotel. Wasn't aware of legal ramifications.

I'm aware of posters on pocket 5s that lived in LOS recently off of an income generated by online poker.

What exactly are the legal ramifications? Has anyone ever heard of someone running into legal trouble - for real - in LOS for playing online poker?

Archived