Am I gonna get raped?

Neon Ninja

So I'm FINALLY back in town and staying at the fabulous Nana Hotel.

The hotel sells Internet WiFi for 150bt per hour.

So I was paying this for a while. :(

When I was in the Newark airport, I had to install this BOINGO software to access the WiFi there. It kept coming up here in Bangkok, but I just ignored it, and assumed that it would not be able to connect to anything.

So after I ran out of hotel time, I clicked the "Connect to Boingo" button...AND IT CONNECTED!

So I did some research, and apparently it works like the way ATM networks work... and the provider the Nana hotel uses is part of that network!! Great!

Now I'm supposedly going to get charged $10 (350bt) per day of use (24x7). What is the downside? Am I going to be charged that amount IN ADDITION to what the hotel charges? Am I ripping the hotel off? Did I find a loophole?

Boingo has my credit card info. So if I leave the internet on 24x7 is it going to try to charge me for both? That would be almost 4000bt a day!!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

-=/NN

I bet there is now way to tell till you get your hotel bill. If it was the same way it was in November, you had to buy a little card with a code on it to get into the nana network. If this is still the way, then you should not be paying the hotel if you are connecting with out the card.

Are you ripping them off? I dont think so. Plenty of places that make less than the Nana offer WiFi for free, so I feel the Nana is getting a free ride. Also, for about 350bht, you can get the card from the JW next door and it lasts for 24 (nonlinear) hours. I get one of those and sit in their smoking area and it will last me about a week.

How fast is the speed on these sort of connections?

Nothing to write home about really. I think it's JUST fast enough they can claim it to be "high speed". Of course I'm mainly comparing this to my wired connection back in the states, which is really apples and oranges I suppose.

But it's fast enough to maintain a blog, read the news, check e-mails, etc. I was able to do Skype video to video with someone in the US, and it worked fine... better than expected actually.... a little choppy.

However, I wouldn't want to try bittorrent or some such on it.

-=/NN

...If it was the same way it was in November, you had to buy a little card with a code on it to get into the nana network. If this is still the way, then you should not be paying the hotel if you are connecting with out the card.

Yes, that is exactly how they are working it. Even with the card, there is nothing from this hotel linking my room# to that card as it was paid in cash and they didn't ask. I'm more concerned that Boingo bills my credit card for it.

Are you ripping them off? I dont think so. Plenty of places that make less than the Nana offer WiFi for free, so I feel the Nana is getting a free ride. Also, for about 350bht, you can get the card from the JW next door and it lasts for 24 (nonlinear) hours. I get one of those and sit in their smoking area and it will last me about a week.

Thanks for the info! :beer:

-=/NN

• 3 weeks later...

Nana is a Boingo hotspot so you will not incur any charges from the hotel by using it.

The only thing to point out is that if you have signed up for the Boingo standard account ($9.95 per month) you will be billed an additional $0.12 - $0.18 per minute outside of the Americas :( . I'm not aware of any $10 per day plans.

The only way to eliminate that per minute fee would be to sign up for the Boingo Global Account ($59 per month). If you used it already quite a bit, call Boingo and ask them if they will change the charges to the $59 rate as you were unaware of per minute fees for outside the country. Much like roaming charges, these things are negotiable if you contact your provider right away.

Last time I stayed at the Majestic Suites I would use my Boingo account at the Nana and had a bit of sticker shock when I received the bill due to the per minute charge. :yikes: I called them and they billed me the Global rate for that month.

Nothing like working with a client in the US from the Nana Lobby at 2:00am in the morning :grinyes:

I used to stay at the Nana in my earlier travels to LOS. I keep moving further away I lke the Soi 8 area. I got tired of that musty smell thet can't get rid of and the rooms are so dark

ROFLMAO ! Most of us dont go there for the decor, and the dark rooms are just what the doctor ordered, IMO. I did try to stay at a nicer hotel at one stage, but they charged me 'Guest Tax' - Nana doesnt. I miss the sheer simplicity of a holiday at the Nana - admittedly, I will have more to do during the day in December, but the nights wont be as interesting.

Archived