Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error

TroyinEwa/Perv

I had a similar situation years ago - written about it here before. I left a job and bank had deposited my last pay - but obviously way too much by a few thousand $'s.

I argued with bank that the money wasn't mine - no avail they claimed it was. I got worried as my mate was the CFO of the company I left so I called him to make sure he hadn't made a mistake - he checked the transfer from company account to mine - much smaller amount of money than I had.

I told the bank again wasn't the amount transferred here - talk to the bloke who did the transfer - no good - bank (National) insisted it was my money. Mate faxed over the transfer printouts to the bank manager - no good - still HAD to be my money even though the amount transferred and the amount deposited in single transaction was fairly different.

I got fed up by this stage -

"OK - Close the account"

They gave me the $'s and I walked out feeling quite guilty but happy I'd tried to be honest.

Bought my mate a few beers and just couldn't believe how hard it was to be honest.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happened to me too when I left my previous job 2 months ago.

I just made a wire transfer back to my ex company's account after having talked to HR.

Honest is always good, but when the amount is xx million $ then temptation might be too high.

But who cares if they report it? That's only really relevant for money going *into* an account to catch the druggies, and once again, if you plan on disappearing, who cares? They won't stop you from taking out the full amount. Just have to sign a paper.

In this instance, the bank is under the assumption the money is your's and gotten legally.

Cheers,

SD

But who cares if they report it? That's only really relevant for money going *into* an account to catch the druggies, and once again, if you plan on disappearing, who cares? They won't stop you from taking out the full amount. Just have to sign a paper.

In this instance, the bank is under the assumption the money is your's and gotten legally.

Cheers,

SD

Millions of dollars in suitcases pass thru Arizona all the time. Almost none ever get detected. What is one more suitcase?

Guys, most of you have credit cards and have had some kind of experience where your card was shut off after buying something online for $29.99. Don't you think it would be a tad difficult to make a single seven figure wire transfer from a personal account? Large wire transfers have standard checks including multiple signatures and callbacks to verify identity.

If this story is true, I would bet the couple tried to take off with some amount that flew under the radar. My guess is less than 100k. If they took more than that, I would immediately suspect they were working with someone on the inside who helped suppress normal fraud detection checks.

Don't know for which countries you speak (USA?) but I never had checks/calls when I made wire transfer in Europe.

I made some 7 figures wire transfers (in euros) between various western bank accounts as well as twice to my Thai bank account without any problems or delays.

Last time I made a big wire transfer to my Thai account from my western account (was a few months ago) the amount was on the Thai bank account 15 minutes later.

I did it even once directly from Bangkok using the international online banking option of my western bank.

I also once carried quite a big amount in euros in my luggage (although you legally have to declare if you exit some western countries with amounts above 10k euros).

So I do really believe there wouldn't be problems to transfer multiple times amounts between 60-80k euros.

Cashier checks are also not too difficult to get, was able twice to get a cashier check at kasikorn bank for quite big amounts in baht quickly.

Of course, as I never had millions of euros I can't comment about making wire transfers of x million euros/$.

But after all, 1 million euro = 10 wire transfers of 100K

Update that I found.......

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - The bank that mistakenly handed a New Zealand couple a $6.1 million credit limit said Friday it had recovered less than a third of the money from the pair, who have disappeared.

Link

HT.......looks like they got a bit more than you thought.

I made some 7 figures wire transfers (in euros) between various western bank accounts as well as twice to my Thai bank account without any problems or delays.

Of course, as I never had millions of euros I can't comment about making wire transfers of x million euros/$.

What do you mean by 7 figures? 7 figures is x million euros.

No idea how banks work in NZ but having witnessed two people retrieving in cash quite big amounts

(one old lady retrieved 120k euros, a businessman got only 70k euros)

Having called my bank I learned all was needed (in addition to the amoutn being on your account) was a phone call a few hours prior to going to retrieve the cash in order for the office to have the cash delivered.

The other way is to go directly to the head office for the city where they won't have problems giving you the cash.

This is for the cash.

Now if I make xx wire transfers for amounts between 70-90k euros/$ to a foreign account nothing stops me from doing so.

I am pretty confident that, both by retrieving cash and doing some bigger wire transfers you can get a lot (at least back here).

Then this is just a matter of going to enough offices to retrieve the cash, both in the country of origin and the other countries where you have some bank accounts.

Of course, this isn't valid if two hours after the bank made the mistake they realize they did make an error.

Knowing the efficiency of some of my banks I believe there could be quite a few days before they realize there is a problem.

I believe this couple might have flown to China where it could be very difficult to find them.

Anyway, this is like the lottery, chances are remote you ever get one of the two.

Archived