Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error

TroyinEwa/Perv

Not like the lottery at all. Isn't one legal and th other an illegal activity...

Now they are fugitives on the run. Living in NZ and living in china ain't the same. When the novelty wears off and once they realize they can't go back to their old life of friends and stability, they could get pretty homesick..

And I don't think we are talking about professional foreign travelers, jet setting types...

They will slip up and their life could become a living hell for them...

I wonder if the bank would have given a reward to them for reporting a mistake?

I guess their state-appointed lawyer (when all the bank's assets become frozen) will plea entrapment and stupidity....

CB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know for which countries you speak (USA?) but I never had checks/calls when I made wire transfer in Europe.

I made some 7 figures wire transfers (in euros) between various western bank accounts as well as twice to my Thai bank account without any problems or delays.

Last time I made a big wire transfer to my Thai account from my western account (was a few months ago) the amount was on the Thai bank account 15 minutes later.

I did it even once directly from Bangkok using the international online banking option of my western bank.

I also once carried quite a big amount in euros in my luggage (although you legally have to declare if you exit some western countries with amounts above 10k euros).

So I do really believe there wouldn't be problems to transfer multiple times amounts between 60-80k euros.

Cashier checks are also not too difficult to get, was able twice to get a cashier check at kasikorn bank for quite big amounts in baht quickly.

Of course, as I never had millions of euros I can't comment about making wire transfers of x million euros/$.

But after all, 1 million euro = 10 wire transfers of 100K

In Germany every wire transfer abroad above 10.000 â?¬ must be accompanied by documents (like invoices) explaining the transfer. But I am not sure what happens if you transfer a large amount like 100.000 â?¬ without those documents...

Serious question: what is the actual criminal charge? Theft? Fraud?

On a less serious note...

I guess I feel the same way about this as I do wireless signals and digital satellite: if you don't want me to use your signals, keep 'em the fuck away from my antennas. And, if you don't want me using your money, keep it away from my account.

Not sure how long it took for the bank to contact them, but maybe turn the bank's own rules around on them: "sorry, you didn't notify us of the error within 48 hours. Our liability is limited"

Seems to me that you should be able to charge a fee, pretty much whatever amount you set, for helping them to correct their mistake. Fuck knows they charge for everything. Here's my fee schedule...

Answer the bank's call phone call? 2 million for the first minute, 100,000 for each second or fraction of a second thereafter. 500,000 per question.

Money storage fee? 3 million per day.

You want a bag with that money? Only 100,000.

Of course, our security must watch you count it. That's 4 people, at 1 million each person each hour.

And boy, are they gonna shit when they see MY withdrawal fee. Plus, I think maybe we'll limit them to some arbitrary amount, say, $10 per transaction and a maximum of $100 per day. Oh, and don't forget the bizarre PIN number that I give you. Its about 1,475,924 digits long. If you enter it incorrectly 1 time, you have to apply for a new one before you can access your money. Fee? 10,000,000 for a new PIN. BTW, I am open only on days with an "M" in it, from 11:03 a.m to 11:04 a.m. If it is a holiday in any country of the world, a full moon or I just don't feel like getting up, we're closed.

How much money are we talking about here, anyway? A bit less than a 1 year bonus for the CEO of some failed bank? THAT sounds like the real crime ti me.

Don't know for which countries you speak (USA?) but I never had checks/calls when I made wire transfer in Europe.

I made some 7 figures wire transfers (in euros) between various western bank accounts as well as twice to my Thai bank account without any problems or delays.

Last time I made a big wire transfer to my Thai account from my western account (was a few months ago) the amount was on the Thai bank account 15 minutes later.

I did it even once directly from Bangkok using the international online banking option of my western bank.

I also once carried quite a big amount in euros in my luggage (although you legally have to declare if you exit some western countries with amounts above 10k euros).

So I do really believe there wouldn't be problems to transfer multiple times amounts between 60-80k euros.

Cashier checks are also not too difficult to get, was able twice to get a cashier check at kasikorn bank for quite big amounts in baht quickly.

Of course, as I never had millions of euros I can't comment about making wire transfers of x million euros/$.

In Germany every wire transfer abroad above 10.000 â?¬ must be accompanied by documents (like invoices) explaining the transfer. But I am not sure what happens if you transfer a large amount like 100.000 â?¬ without those documents...

Not like the lottery at all. Isn't one legal and th other an illegal activity...

Now they are fugitives on the run. Living in NZ and living in china ain't the same. When the novelty wears off and once they realize they can't go back to their old life of friends and stability, they could get pretty homesick..

And I don't think we are talking about professional foreign travelers, jet setting types...

CB

That's what I meant in a previous post. If I am neither dreaming of nor being prepared for a secluded life in SE-Asia, quality of life might become much worse as before - especially on the long run (friends, family, traveling, culture, food, what ever).

CB

That's what I meant in a previous post. If I am neither dreaming of nor being prepared for a secluded life in SE-Asia, quality of life might become much worse as before - especially on the long run (friends, family, traveling, culture, food, what ever).

Also I guess, that you need some 'street smarts' to avoid being scammed by local authorities and criminals. I remember that the legendary British train robber who had fled the Brazil lived a lavish lifestyle for some years but in the end he was broke and ill.

I presume that in times of internet, youtube, international data collections by companies and governments, it might become more and more difficult for an unprepared person to vanish long term.

heartThais, my bad, I didn't mean transfers of x million, just that transfers of xx times 80-90K = x million.

kamui: £Are you sure all German banks do this? Mt Grandma did quite recently a wire transfer of 15K euros (to another EU account) and it went without any problems.

I remember reading something about transfers above 500K being investigated which sounds logical to me given most house/condos back here cost 300-400k euros at the minimum.

I never tried to make intra European transfers or international ones for amoutns above 90K so can't speak for these figures but I do know that for amounts up to 80K I never had to produce any paper or justify the transfer reasons.

Anyway, this couple is in far more shit than thought, they didn't only get their grips on the bank's money due to an error but have also many outstanding debts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6339935.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6337796.ece

About stealing what is not rightfully yours:

The 10 weirdest MP expense claims

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_weblog/2009/05/the-10-weirdest-mp-expense-claims.html

Two arrests in investigation into alleged £250m fraud

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article6338124.ece

kamui: £Are you sure all German banks do this? Mt Grandma did quite recently a wire transfer of 15K euros (to another EU account) and it went without any problems.

I remember reading something about transfers above 500K being investigated which sounds logical to me given most house/condos back here cost 300-400k euros at the minimum.

I never tried to make intra European transfers or international ones for amoutns above 90K so can't speak for these figures but I do know that for amounts up to 80K I never had to produce any paper or justify the transfer reasons.

The 10.000 â?¬ is for wire transfers to countries outside the EU. Banks have to report the transfers to a government agency. It's included in a law against money laundering...

Ah, ok, same elsewhere in EU. Entschuldigung

:beer:

As a sidenote, recently we received some smaller transfers from Russia and everytime the bank called us to inform us about it. I had the feeling that they wanted confirmation that this were legit payments and not drug money or so...

:content:

Archived