Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error

TroyinEwa/Perv

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, provided you were able to flee to SE-Asia with let's say 1-5 mio USD and you passport is valid for another 5 years.

How do you deal with visas and staying long term under the radar of the authorities?

And what do you do when your passport expires?

Screw the visas and passports. Find a country that you like, go to it and put your money in a hole in the back yard. Live in a small town and travel by bus to a big city when needed. I really don't think it's that hard to disappear, especially in a country like Thailand. I know someone who's done it.

Screw the visas and passports. Find a country that you like, go to it and put your money in a hole in the back yard. Live in a small town and travel by bus to a big city when needed. I really don't think it's that hard to disappear, especially in a country like Thailand. I know someone who's done it.

Couldn't this become an extremely boring life? I have much more fun with much less money...

It doesn't say how long the bank took to figure out it screwed up. I had something similar happen a couple of weeks ago: an $8k deposit was deposited twice. It took the bank a week plus to figure it out -- I did not say anything (but I'm sure the depositor did), waiting to see what was going to happen. And hey, I wouldn't screw anyone, or a small company, over for such a small amount.

So with a week+ head start, I'm sure I could make $10M disappear, then myself too!

Cheers,

SD

I had just the opposite happen. I deposited some money into my account using the preprinted deposit slip from my checking account in the U.S. The teller transposed the last 2 numbers and I didn't notice until after I checked online later and didn't see any deposit. I looked at my slip and noticed what happened.

After a bit of a hassle for me, 2 more trips to the bank, they said yep, it's still in that account and they put it in mine. Not really sure what they would have done if it was spent already but they better have had come up with it. Not my error.

Some years ago I happened to receive my credit card bill, was around 5K $ = the limit of my CC.

After checking it appeared the card had been used in London; of course I wasn't in London when it happened.

I was forced to pay and only two months later did I finally receive the compensation.

It would be difficult to do this with only a week in the US. Here banks report transactions over $10k and multiple transactions equaling $10k, so you cant just cash 50 checks for $9999. SO getting a good amount of the money out in cash is going to be your first problem.

Cant go to just a ton of different banks because who is going to cash a big check from a sister bank without knowing who you are very well. So I think at best you may be able to get $25k out in a day if you are lucky before they clue in.

Now you could tell them you are buying a house and get a certified check. They would buy that, but if they find out in time they will just cancel the check. With all the nigerian scams going on, no bank is going to cash a big ass certified check with out calling the bank directly.... and there you are in trouble again.

Yea, so I would likely tell the bank and hope for a reward. I cant see a way to withdraw a good enough amount of it fast enough to live free for 50 years.

( Notice I am not saying anything about how to disappear! ;) )

Archived