Seafood in Hua Hin

AloyMak

Just got back from Hua Hin. I love seafood so I had it every night.

Madame Green - I had high hopes for this place given the really positive reviews from several board members. I was disappointed. The one good thing is that it is relatively cheap. But the place feels dirty, the service sucks, and the food is ok but not great. My thai companion noted that one of the staff was picking his nose in the open. Here's a puzzle. We asked if we could pick our crab. They brought out just two and we picked one. We get it cooked and out comes four claws?! Two of the claws tasted fresh. The other two had a crumbly texture and tasted like they were brined in a salt/sugar solution. Anyway, it is about on par with the seafood at Suk Soi 7 (I like the food at Soi 7). So is the ambience.

La Mer - They should just call it Lamer. You get a good view.. and pay for it. Extremely overpriced for what you get. 180baht for an order of Tod Man Kung?! They tasted off too. We had to send back grilled prawns because even the waiter agreed they weren't fresh. Ambience - cheap. It would be nice if they had bothered to remove the UPC stickers from the centerpiece candle holders. But that's a good metaphor for the overall lack of effort. The staff service is excellent though. So good that I tipped them extra even though the meal was not that great. Oh, they had really shitty isaan singers wailing to karaoke music. It really spoiled the cliffside, romantic vibe.

Chao Lay (The one in center of town) - Best restaurant we tried in Hua Hin. Everything was very fresh - oysters, mussels, prawns, fish. It's dining on a pier with efficient service. Just standard thai seafood but done very well. Oysters on ice with fresh condiments. The only complaint was the fish steamed in lemon/chili. It was so sour and overpowering it tasted like lemonade concentrate. The fish though was top notch... but might want to give that dish a pass.

Archived