Where have all the posters gone?

I think a clique is an inevitable consequence, as there's only so many expats here (Bangkok and/or Thailand) and on this board. Meeting up with those who experience the same lifestyle is bound to happen. We all share being an expat in Thailand in common...we are all far from our own cultures. It seems to happen everywhere.

I'm somewhat of an anomaly in this, as I've only really met SD (plus a couple of others briefly) from this board. Therefore I'm not in any clique (unless SD and myself constitute a clique?).

One of things that is a problem is that we all know what's going on, most of the time...there's little point posting about such-and-such place being good as everyone will know this. Why review a bar for such folks, when they've only to take a 5 minute cab ride to see for themselves. That said, I've no idea what's happening outside Bangkok and I'd appreciate more posts from others about this...

Profile wise, I think this is a problem that's not easily sorted. Maybe an advert on Sticks site might be a good idea??? How much would that cost Stick??

I found this site by google...so others can as well. I think fresh interesting posts are the key. More pictures also help. Less PC and more spice is needed in the nightlife section. I will attempt to post more up to date info on Bangkok and elsewhere I travel (some of SD's posts from his travels have been great, photos and all!).

Regarding other sites, I find TV sterile...I think I've posted there maybe 10 times in 3 years. The admin team is very cliquey and there's a massive problem with the hierarchy. Also any interesting posts get deleted. Why it is so popular is beyond me...it is a behemoth of a site and really dull, in my oh so humble opinion. A nightmare to navigate. I don't go on any other nightlife boards, as I have no (night) life!! Plus some seemed to be impossible to access unless you paid...a really unintelligent move if you ask me...

Other points have all been covered. All I know is that I think this site is great and I appreciate its existence greatly. My thanks to KS and to all the great posters who continue to give me something to read (and do).

Cheers!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I guess I should throw in my 2 cents as well :)

Cliques: Yes, agree there some here and as said it is inevitable. They exist on pretty much any board I have ever visited. Don't think anyone has ever figured out a way to prevent them. A bunch of people all in the same physical location just makes it even easier for them to form.

Economical crisis / Low season: Probably a reason as well, although I am not sure how much it impacts things. I've noticed that the post numbers are often quite similar all through the year, only changing when something exceptional happens like a tsunami or political unrest (can political unrest in Thailand still be called exceptional? :) )

Exposure: Yep, agree, we do not have enough of it. In the old Nanaplaza.com days this was quite different and in that respect changing the name may not have been such a good move - especially seeing that one of the main reasons for the move was to attract more advertisers and that never happened.

Part of it is also that this board is not so specialized anymore, not strictly focused on nightlife, which I do think is one of the main attractions for visitors to boards like this.

How to increase the exposure? Using Google Adwords might work, but that isn't free and I am not sure if the ROI would be worth it.

Word of mouth is always good (thanks Stick!), and it is an easy way for members here to help.

I do think that the amount of boards/sites has also had a detrimental influence. When this board started (in 1997 I think) it was one of maybe 3-5 focused on Thailand/Thai nightlife. Now there are likely dozens of them.

Do I have an answer on how to turn this around? No.

Does it bother me greatly? No, can't say it really does. I like the board as it is. Sure, more posters and posts would be great, but if that goes at the cost of an increase in flames, trolling, etc. I can do without it.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Forgot to address this comment:

"in order to access some parts of the site, you have to post at least twice to have your account fully activated and then 2 posts a month to keep it so."

It would be possible to implement this (and to an extend we have something like it; you need a minimum of 10 posts to have a sig, send PTs and a few other things), but the downside of this is that the search engines will never be able to pick up the posts in such sections.

I am also not sure if people would bother posting, or rather just move to another board that does not have that restriction.

Sanuk!

One of things that is a problem is that we all know what's going on, most of the time...there's little point posting about such-and-such place being good as everyone will know this. Why review a bar for such folks, when they've only to take a 5 minute cab ride to see for themselves. ...

Cheers!

You have put your finger on one major problem. I suspect the majority of board members are outside of Thailand and would appreciate the reviews. After my 10000 mile flight to LOS, how can I take a 5 min cab ride to bar you have kept secret about? :dunno:

I'd like to add that the Pattaya Secrets board is better on Pattaya topics as many of the posters live there and quite a few of them are bar owners. Thus making the info on Pattaya more accurate and complete than trip reports by short time tourists. This does not imply that the latter don't have a value though.

ALHOLK

Archived