Where have all the posters gone?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they use a PDA now so just read instead of posting too. its not so easy posting from a PDA .big changes going on

You bring up a valid point Cheeky. I too have been accessing the board almost exclusively from my Blackberry since January. I quick search shows that I've made only about 20 posts since then, whereas I was averaging about 20 posts a month before that.

While I knew that I was reading more than posting, I didn't think the difference was that dramatic.

Just so happens I made a few posts today because I'm sitting in front of an actual computer.

a lot of newbies with different perspectives or fresh ideas are getting bullied on this board. people with controversial views get provocated and immediately get banned after the smallest flame while other well connected old hands can flame others as they like! a general higher tolerance as well as same standards for everyone would be good for this board!

I don't post much nowerdays because it's been so long since I was last in LOS, I don't have anything relevamt to write about. I still check in most days to keep up with what's happening though.

I'd like to add that the Pattaya Secrets board is better on Pattaya topics as many of the posters live there and quite a few of them are bar owners. Thus making the info on Pattaya more accurate and complete than trip reports by short time tourists. This does not imply that the latter don't have a value though.

ALHOLK

I agree with this. We have never been much on the Pattaya happenings in the past couple of years. Older members who live and play in Pattaya just do not seem to post much any more (wonder why? ;) ).

For a time a few years back many of the mongers that posted their exploits were hounded by a few wankers who seemed to dislike any mention of sexual escapades and saw these posts as 'bragging' I think from what they would say in reply to these type of posts. I found that many of the sexual exploits posts were, if not very interesting after a while (depending on the writer) at least would contain bits of info that others could use, bar info, hotel info, restaurant info, etc. And, they did get lots of reads here by visitors and many of the non-expats who visit less frequently.

And now, the nightlife area forum here is basically dead. A few posts a week, not many replies, and as KS says, it is a part of the whole Thailand scene that seems to generate interest. And with Pattaya Secrets and a couple of others that are mostly Pattaya related, well, why come here for info on Pattaya? I think people would if we had the info and lots of posts, but that ain't happening it seems.

We used to have many good writers and posters that added much to the board. We had 'extras', columns, stories, competitions, etc that generated many reads and posts. We also had many more old hands that actually posted their weekly exploits and posted a lot of info on the weekend meetings and what transpired 'after' the food and chatting was finished and people went off in groups to the bars and sanuk activities. Much of that constant weekly input is gone. I have my own opinion as to why many of the old hands/expats/frequent flyers to Thailand do not post much, but we'll leave that for another thread I may start soon. I have some ideas on that.

Cent

p.s. I myself have been busy with other things and do not post so much any more, plus there is less to read from others and that also makes me want to read less and visit the site less and less.

Samak, I asked TB exactly that question a couple of months back and have had zero response. For a guy who used to blast out 3 posts per minute, 12 hours a day, he has become very quiet on certain topics. ;)

TB:

- is it true that you have retired from fulltime work ? I thought you were in your 30s - if so, how does one retire at such a young age ?

- do you still live in Sydney ? If so, how does one actually 'live' in Sydney ? :clown:

All the breast, er, best !

Gobble

I don't post much nowerdays because it's been so long since I was last in LOS, I don't have anything relevamt to write about. I still check in most days to keep up with what's happening though.

I can understand this.

Some travel to Thailand solo. Make friends or meet up with old friends and have a good time.

My trips to LOS have lessened. I used to travel to Thailand with one or two friends. It was always an adventure. Always something new. New places to go. New bars to review. New gals to talk about.

Now, both friends have married Thai gals. Now they are looking at Thailand through the other side of the binoculars. What was once thrilling and amazing is now taboo to some.

When I do travel to LOS, their wives try to fix me up with some twice divorced 40ish Thai gal friends. Please!!!

The Blackberry/IPhone/Internet phone phenomenon is intriguing. Some I know use this as primary internet source and it is difficult to make a posting/response using this type of internet access.

"Useless Posts". Sometimes I just like to read items that don't rely on too much effort or brain power. Useless dribble is sometimes soothing !

The rain has stopped and the sun is shining here now.

...We also had many more old hands that actually posted their weekly exploits and posted a lot of info on the weekend meetings and what transpired 'after' the food and chatting was finished and people went off in groups to the bars and sanuk activities...

Ya know, if I post about the shit that we do, I'm called a liar or a braggart or cliquish*. If I do not, I am condemned for not participating.

No winning, so best to just ignore it and move on IMHO.

Cheers,

SD

* -- that last part really hurts as I feel that 99% of us expat old hands on this board bend over backwards to include anyone who wants to be included

Archived