Where have all the posters gone?

The way this board organizes and displays topics is also a problem.

A few weeks ago, I put some time into a review of ISSAN TAWAN DAENG and posted it the "REVIEWS" section, "BARS" subsection.

It never appeared under "RECENT TOPICS" nor did it list under REVIEWS; it just disappeared.

One would have to specifically go to the BARS subsection to find any listing of the topic; thus, only 20 views. Why waste the time starting a topic if it doesn't get seen?

I have found other forums, such as PATTAYA SECRETS with a much more intuitive format making finding new and relevant posts much easier to find. Also, I don't know if it is affecting others but I have found that opening topics is much slower since the AMAZON thing came on. Every time I open a topic or post, I first cycle through the Calendar section.

Maybe forums such as this, now available for about ten years, have lost their novelty as the internet has become integrated into our everyday lives. Yes, I still check-in and give it a quick scan but there is little that engrosses me, mostly just "same old, same old."

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that about Thailand:

The same old song, the same old crap from the same old (or not so old) fart gets boring in the end.

Proof of this, posts about politics, new places, new stuff/goods attract posters, section such as nighlife for example are dead because there is nothing new under Thailand's sun.

A combination of factors I'd suggest;

Global economic downturn, less visitors to LOS.

Seasonal posters. It is low season....and a very low low season at that.

Too many online sources of info...how many blogs are there about Bangkok/Thailand? How many forums? Why sign up when you can read "everything" about the nightlife on other sites?

This site still has a low profile in comparison to some.

Long term posters (mainly expats) don't post about nightlife or happenings, for a variety of reasons. Or long time members don't disclose their comings and goings so much anymore....again maybe because they are married or moved away or don't want it known about...? Certainly there's less open discussion, a lot of folks seem to keep their business to themselves nowadays.

Quite a few long time members seem to have vanished....for a variety of reasons no doubt.

A perfect storm....

Hi!

I too am under the impression that the board has declined lately. I have noticed that I spend considerably less time reading the board than I used to.

One reason that has already been pointed out in another post is in my opinion the current recession. I for one and most likely many others with me can't afford to go to Thailand as often as before. Sitting in a northern country 10+ hours from Bangkok is not a good prerequisite to make extensive posts about any aspect of Thailand.

Another reason I believe, without being able to point in any specific direction, is that the board appears to be edging in the direction of a private club for a clique of expats and their close friends. If this is true it will eventually kill the board.

That said I think that the first reason in combination with the recent political turmoil in Thailand is the main reason. Let's face it, someone who doesn't consider going to Thailand won't read a Thai related board and even less posting on it.

regards

ALHOLK

Work has been hectic for me - about to get VERY quiet though - and yet I find I log on every second day now and miss nothing

Same old Sameo

I don't think this is KS's fault - rather - what some wrongly accuse of being "in the club" many of us do now know each other very personally and hence we become both more careful what we post and respectful of others (most of the time)

I think there are a few reasons why there are less posts.

â?¢ There are fewer people visiting Thailand and therefore fewer people looking for info on the country. I bet most Thailand-centric websites are seeing a drop in traffic and posts.

â?¢ There is always going to be natural attrition as long-standing members leave, perhaps they lose interest in Thailand, or settle down elsewhere or whatever.

â?¢ Like Gobbledonk said, many things get discussed over and over again and you get bored of posts about the same old thing time and time again. I have this same problem on my site, trying to write interesting new stuff each week. It gets hard to keep visitors happy.

â?¢ There are a few members who have lowered the tone of the board and pushed others away. There are a couple of members who are highly antagonistic and pretty much pick apart whatever anyone says. To make it worse, they always bring their own slant and perspective and seem completely unable to see that others are coming from a different perspective and different situation. This removes any sort of feel good factor and I know I am far from alone when I say this, but you just feel like, â??Why bother to post when XXX or XXX is going to come along, distort what I said, manipulate it and then abuse me.â?Â

â?¢ I hate to say it but this board has developed a bit of a Nanapong feel, meaning that it more feels like there are a few cliques on the board and the board is a place for friends to meet, rather than a place to exchange info and learn. Thereâ??s nothing wrong with the Nanapong approach, of course, but I think that is not what KS really envisaged here.

The board's profile being low is a VERY pertinent point. Many people don't even know about it yet Thai Visa, Pattaya Secrets / Addicts, Bangkok Tonight are all big names. The crazy thing though is that this board has been running longer and I bet most of us agree is better run than any of the aforementioned.

Thai Visa allows no dicussions of bar girls or the sex business. That is all Pattaya Secrets is about and is populated mainly with a group of hard core sex tourist/expats. This board is in middle and the middle just doesn't attract much attention.

Agree with the Nanapong thing though.

TH

Archived