California's Gay Marriage Ban Upheld by State Supreme Court

Hugh_Hoy

Yikes, now Darth Cheney is supporting it. I may have to rethink my position (just kidding LOL).

[color:purple]Dick Cheney rarely takes a position that places him at a more progressive tilt than President Obama. But on Monday, the former vice president did just that, saying that he supports gay marriage as long as it is deemed legal by state and not federal government.

Speaking at the National Press Club for the Gerald R. Ford Foundation journalism awards, Cheney was asked about recent rulings and legislative action in Iowa and elsewhere that allowed for gay couples to legally wed.

"I think that freedom means freedom for everyone," replied the former V.P. "As many of you know, one of my daughters is gay and it is something we have lived with for a long time in our family. I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish. Any kind of arrangement they wish. The question of whether or not there ought to be a federal statute to protect this, I don't support. I do believe that the historically the way marriage has been regulated is at the state level. It has always been a state issue and I think that is the way it ought to be handled, on a state-by-state basis. ... But I don't have any problem with that. People ought to get a shot at that."[/color]

Link

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from there (Little Big Horn). Cowboy country. Was that where Brokeback Mountain took place? :content: Actually, while Montana voted to ban gay "marriage" by 66%, Oklahoma banned it by 75% or more.

SD...so you agree with Cheney? OMG! People, the world is nearing it's end. Get your affairs in order and book the next space flight. Anyway, seems you are a bit confused my son. Cheney said that it should be up to the individual states. So, why the bitchin' when CA (a "state") voted to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman? Or should it only up to the states if the vote goes the way you want things?

HH

Not confused gramps. Just shocked that Darth would deviate from the party line at all. He is, afterall, the ultimate robot!

I think that Loving ended this charade that civil rights are allowed to be decided by States...

And yes, IMHO, Loving applies 1,000% here...

Cheers,

SD -- not a lawyer, but plays one on Thai internet forums

...I would be more in favor of that than having ONE (US Supreme Court justice) out of over 300,000,000 citizens rule otherwise. So, I guess the answer is "yes". That does not mean that I necessarily agree with the majority, but I feel strongly that the will of the majority should come first. I've taken my "lumps" in the voting polls in the past like a man and moved on. Life goes on...without some nitwit judge/justice making decisions without compromising the will of the majority.

HH

We believe you, HH, as this is the precise position you've taken in the past. I remember when some nitwit justice(s) compromised the will of the majority by ruling that the 2000 prez elections were won by GWB, despite the fact that a majority did not vote that. And you have to ask yourself, "Am I better off today than in January 2000?"

What's that? That's NOT what you said? Oh, you AGREED with that one, as it fit your ideology? Sorry, I remember now, you argued FOR a few nitwits overruling the majority. I apologize for thinking you were being (again) HHypocritical.

KK...you're usually more coherent in your posts. Kind of early to be on the sauce, isn't it?

As it turned out, it was all due to some fuckwits who didn't have the brains to punch a hole in a piece of paper. Damn sure I didn't want those folks to chose our President.

HH

"...Just got back from there (Little Big Horn). Cowboy country. Was that where Brokeback Mountain took place? ..."

Are you saying you took a "pilgrimage?" (insert limp wristed gremlin)

66% Vs 75%? So it appears Montana has more poofts than Oklahoma...

Bottom line is, we are no better off with gays being denied the right to marry, and we'd be no worse off if gays could marry. In the end it does nothing either way, and is just another issue used to divert attention away from what is really important.

"...Just got back from there (Little Big Horn). Cowboy country. Was that where Brokeback Mountain took place? ..."

Are you saying you took a "pilgrimage?" (insert limp wristed gremlin)

66% Vs 75%? So it appears Montana has more poofts than Oklahoma...

Bottom line is, we are no better off with gays being denied the right to marry, and we'd be no worse off if gays could marry. In the end it does nothing either way, and is just another issue used to divert attention away from what is really important.

Politicians love this stuff. They get the populace all worked up on bull shit topics such as gay issues and when nobody is looking, they sneak in some more rotten shit.

Lesbians have been using sperm banks for years...I grew up around gays, and I am perfectly normal...er straight...and many gay men are already fathers. And what about straight couples who are just plain fucked up and stupid to have kids, but then go and have 10 of the fuckers and don't provide for them? and what about all the straight couples who abuse there kids? Sorry, just sick of the "what about the kids?" argument.

Archived