California's Gay Marriage Ban Upheld by State Supreme Court

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Part of me, okay a big part of me, is still uncomfortable with gays marrying. Well, men marrying and the butch looking women but that's my own issue and it shouldn't affect what is 'right'.

Marriage has been defined throughout American history. In some states it was defined with racial and ethnic and restrictions. It was further redefined and now has come to this.

I have a gay friend who actually doesn't like it. He has a post on his Facebook page that says 'Well, with the overturned law, its gonna cost you half your personal property to cheat'. hahaha

My nervousness increases with gay couple adoptions because that is next. Again, gay couples can make just as good parents are straight and its my own biases and prejudices that I've had from early childhood that I have to deal with. It doesn't change what is truly right. I heard Ike really didn't care for blacks but held the constitution higher so he sent the national guards to Alabama because they defied the supreme court ruling.

Actually, not much has changed because a lot of companies I worked for in LA already had a 'domestic partner' policy in one form or another. There are just too many gays in the work force and too many of them qualified to do the job and are needed so companies make adjustments. Companies usually are ahead of the curve because they need good workers. I read that it was the bus companies in some southern states that opposed segregation because they thought it would alienate a huge portion of their customer base. Economics sometimes work for social benefit but also against as well.

Maybe if some cross dressing, queenie types wants to adopt kids I will say 'okay, enough!' but till then fair is fair I suppose. I'm a libertarian to some extent and a true libertarian would allow gay marriage as its private.

I also think polygamy should be legal.

My nervousness increases with gay couple adoptions because that is next. Again, gay couples can make just as good parents are straight and its my own biases and prejudices that I've had from early childhood that I have to deal with. It doesn't change what is truly right.

Yes, it sucks (have you ever watched the TV show, Modern Family, lol?).

But it's a helluvalot better than most alternatives, the worst being "let's keep the child in a temporary foster home" where nobody gives a shit.

PS. (EDIT) I also think polygamy should be legal, as long as it can be afforded, obviously.

Chocolat Steve: It's very hard to overcome bias acquired in youth. I admire you greatly for it.

This issue was easy for me--I was never taught that being gay was bad (or good). However, I acquired so many biases (as do we all) just from being in my particular culture. For example, I believed very strongly that America was the best damned country on the planet until relatively recently because it was drilled into me so strongly.

Most people never break free from their acquired biases. In other words they don't know if what they believe is due circumstance of birth or from rationally thinking about things. Often, people look for reasons to justify their bias rather than taking both sides honestly into consideration. It's not a criticism, just an observation based on what I've seen in life.

That is one of the reasons why people are so easily led (and misled) by propaganda. The smart propagandists use these biases (gay marriage is a great example of this) to distract people from the important issues. (This has been said on this board many times in various wordings.)

One way that living abroad can be beneficial is that it helps shake up your world so strongly that you begin to question your own beliefs more easily and rationally. (Of course, many people who live abroad manage to avoid change almost completely. :) )

Archived