Access to kids after divorce?

Redbaron

She's living with another guy who supports her, she also gets social security which is a fair bit in Aus, and my maintenance. There is no alimony in this country. She does also have access to the money we saved as a couple which she says is gone, plus she had a lot of money in the bank when we met.

The only reason she says she won't work is to try to antagonise me, but I admit her employment prospects are a lot better overseas.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but what I'm interested in is guys who have fought to see the kids MORE than once per week or every second weekend, and how they've done.

Thanks in advance,

As soon as I see the word "fought" it rings alarm bells.

If you can avoid involving lawyers do so as 99% of the time they get rich and you get nothing...seen it happen so often.

If she is unreasonable a lawyer will only enable her to do it more effectively. Unfortunately you sometimes need to put your own personal wishes aside in order to avoid exposing the children to an ugly battle between yourself and your ex. Just try and remain calm and reasonable even if she won't.

Yes, I realise things could get ugly if I don't play my cards right. What I want to do is strike a balance between what is best for my son, and what everybody is entitled to. I think it would be better for my son to regularly see me rather than not.

• 3 weeks later...

When I went thru one of my divorces, I made sure that I retained a "father friendly" attorney and it was a huge benefit!

Most attorneys cave in to the woman's demands and you, as the male, are screwed and paying for it all.

There was an organization, ADAM?, Association for Divorced and married Men...something like that and that recommended male orientated attorneys.

Worked for me! YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Just got a SMS from the ex.. I had the lad over the weekend. She's quizzed him and knows he spent the weekend with me, my mum and the GL... (She's previously threatened not to let me see him again if I ever introduced him to my GF) - SMS read:

"..asked lxxxx who he saw today. He said grandma. Pxxxx... haha. U know the consequences... Haha. U bastard"

(lxxxx = the boy; Pxxxx = the GL)

stay tuned - was due to put in the divorce papers tomorrow (with access terms signed and sealed), let's see what happens next

Update:

Lodged the divorce papers yesterday, best $400 I ever spent... the cow stole my mobile phone though (not the good one, the one I only use for her so I can turn the bastard off when she gives me the shits).

She noticed I had 2 phones on me, since we had to do the Xray security thing at court.. told me I'd have to give her my "good" number if I was to see the boy again. I told her No Way, the court doc's state we are to arrange visits via email, 2 weeks in advance.. she's also telling me she no longer has email, or mobile phone (although I called her on it last night and she answered!), and is moving house on Friday...

Stay tuned

Archived