Roads close to jumbos

Flashermac

THE NATION

29 May 2009

After surveys found 74 elephants wandering the streets of Bangkok, the Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has joined forces with the Livestock Development Department to arrest anyone bringing an elephant into the city.

Deputy BMA governor Theerachon Manomaipibul said yesterday that repeat offenders would be warned three times, after which they would be fined up to Bt50,000 and have their elephants sent home.

Theerachon spoke after a meeting of related agencies had agreed to survey the number of Bangkok's elephants again next month. This followup survey will check the elephants for the BMA's microchip devices and give Chulalongkorn and Mahidol universities the chance to test elephants' DNA to find out if any have been smuggled in from neighbouring countries.

Theerachon added that Ayutthaya's Wang Chang elephant camp and Pattaya's Suan Nong Nuch park have offered to buy elephants and hire their mahouts, while the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation has said it will pay Bt500,000Bt1 million for any elephant whose mahout can not afford to keep it.

On June 2325, the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry will consult the public ahead of drafting the new Elephant Act, a longterm solution to the problem that will legislate for microchipping elephants and make it illegal to use them for human transport.

:hmmm:

The BMA also has plans to host a concert to promote elephant welfare. Artists and musicians including AssaneeWasan Chotikul, Paula Taylor and Yeunyong "Add Carabao" Opakul have already accepted invitations, said Theerachon.

Maybe some 'farang elephants' will be prohibited from walking in the streets too?

Remember one farang lady entering MBK, she was 130-150 kg at least, was a welcome sign as I was able to show my girl what 'fat in the west' really meant.

:dunno:

A few months ago some mahouts kept their baby elephant in a field near my house. I gave them some money now and then to feed the poor critter. It has become a business, which is the problem. Since the timber trade has been ended (legally anyway), the elephants no longer work in that line. Instead, the owners rent them to people who walk them to Bangkok and use them more or less to beg. Elephants have been banned in the city for decades, but that law has never been enforced. Let's see if this one will.

well they were still on Soi 4 the other night ,

I guess I wish they would be sent out of the city, but what would happen to them if their caretakers do not have money for feeding them.

probably no good answer .....

Archived