Enoteca Italiana

AloyMak

Summary: Good and surprisingly authentic italian food in Bangkok but overpriced. Decor could use some investment. Still on the search for a great italian restaurant in Bangkok.

Enoteca Italiana is tucked away on Soi 27, off a small soi near the parking lot of the Narcissus club. It is a small restaurant with 9 tables. They could have squeezed in a couple more tables but kudos to the owners for giving the diners some privacy.

This isn't a place that impresses with decor. It's not modern nor elegant. It is mostly wood and exposed brick but not quite rustic either. The entire back wall is brick with rows of upright wine bottles, most for sale. To me it looked like they saved some money on the interior design and had one of their friends decorate the place. But overall, it is homey, comfortable and intimate. A good date place for the over 40 anti-trendy crowd.

They offered a trio of amuse bouche to start. Served on a single plate, it was a visually appealing and tasty way to start. They had three red and three white wines by the glass. We went with a chianti and a barbaresco. Both wines were excellent at 300 and 350 baht/glass.

They have a great looking selection of imported antipasti. We decided to pass and split a pasta dish, mushroom ravioli (450 B). Cooked perfectly but the dish was marred by the crunch of dirt from underwashed mushrooms on top of the ravioli. The sauce was rich and buttery.

My dinner date had a steamed tenderloin. I've never had a steak that was first steamed and then pan finished in terragon butter. Well, I don't like it. Although the beef was moist and juicy but bland, I much prefer the nice caramelization of a sizzling, aged steak. I had a suckling pig cooked sous-vide and pan-fried. It was delicious but the sides (chestnut foam and chopped greens) were underwhelming. Overall, I felt these were solid but not great dishes.

The cost for 4 glasses of wine, two entrees and a pasta dish was 4300. This is about what I'd expect to pay for this quality of meal in the US or UK. For bangkok, it is probably overpriced. I enjoyed the meal but wouldn't go out of my way to visit again.

I hear good things about me mate Sergio's new place Bacco on Suk soi 53, but have not tried it yet.

have been a couple of time at Bacco. while Enoteca is unbeateable for cold cuts and cheeses, Bacco is a much larger place and has a extensive menu in partcular a broad range of antipasti, pastas and italian breads.

quality of food is excellent and IMHO better than the other italian restaurants in the area like La Villa, L'opera (which has gone downhill) and Giusto, not to mention some mediocre italians like Duilio, Basilioc and Bella Napoli in the same area

Archived