Kongju Korean BBQ

Sakai

Went back to Kongju for a healthy Korean BBQ.

The four of us arrived without booking and were greeted by the staff in Korean traditional costume.

Got a window seat.

Staff deserves a special mention as they are knowledgeable, fluent in English, efficient and polite.

As usual, we went for the Korean BBQ but with some appetizers such as kimbap, Korean Bean Curd (miso), Kimchi Jjigae (kimchi soup).

Picked for the BBQ, squids, prawns, marinated beef

(I do love it), lobster and a fish (but as I hate fish I don't remember which one).

A few side dishes (in addition to the ones already provided) were also ordered.

Some green tea, some soju and some water as drinks.

All in all, a simple, healthy and tasty K BBQ.

After all if you are not happy with your meal this is because you fucked up the cooking.

Bill was a bit under 4K bht, the lobster, soju and cocktails amounted to at least 1500bht-2K of it, so a very cheap solution.

Kongju is kinda posh in that minimalist hotel decor kind of way. And it is the most expensive of any korean restaurant I've tried so far in bkk. I ate there a year ago and I remember the soju prices being high enough that I felt ripped off. The food was good but not notably better than the suk soi 12 joints and I think the portions are smaller. It's the sort of place I might bring some business guests but I wouldn't call it a "cheap solution" to get a korean food fix. I'm really surprised you could keep it under 4k with soju.

I admit this is not cheap by Bangkok standard but

Soju: 400 something bht

Lobster: 1900 bht

So take out from the 3900 something bill these 2300 bht and the bill is quite reasonnable given we were 4 and ordered a lot.

Will try the soi 12 joint which is probably better.

Still at 1600 bht I wouldn't call it expensive, especially if I compare to other places in Bangkok where I ended up paying 12-18K bht for a meal for two (ok, not Korean food)

Lobster in Thailand is very expensive! The 1900bht may be about the going rate depending on the weight.

As for Korean food, A former Mrs. Hippie and I like the places at Soi 12, we ate there a few weeks back. Bill was around 1000bht, with no booze. The great thing about my area is we have a lot of Korean buffets, and some are quite good! BBQ cooked yourself, all you can eat! Best part is, you can choose the items you want, so you get a better variety than a fixed menu place.

That Mrs Hippie and I did eat at a place in L.A. fixed set was $30 including drinks. We did recall thinking the quality was better in BKK.

Depends, the lobster was expensive but for example we ate yesterday at Somboon seafood and the lobster cost us 800bht.

I do remember the American lobster at PIER59 (Banyan tree) cost around 2500bht.

All depends on the place.

Agree the Korean suk soi 12 can't probably be beaten for its price/quality ratio.

You can do Korean BBQ in Orange County, CA, all you can eat for $10, and it's not too bad.

Been doing it a lot lately, on account of my wife's sudden fetish for it.

Strange thing is, before we separated I worked for a Korean company for 8 years and she wanted nothing to do with the motherf*kers. Now she thinks they're the nicest race in the world. :dunno:

Archived