Ron's gone!

devils reject

Holy crap,

United accept 80 mil pound offer from Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

I'm a bit gob smacked.

Manchester United have accepted a world record offer of £80m from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

"United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player," said a statement from the English club.

It added that the decision came at Ronaldo's request after he "again expressed his desire to leave".

United described the offer for the 24-year-old forward as unconditional and added that they expected the matter to be concluded by 30 June.

It is understood that the transfer fee would be made available for manager Sir Alex Ferguson to invest in the transfer market.

Madrid signed Brazilian Kaka for a reported £56m earlier in the week, surpassing the previous world record fee of £45.6m Real paid for Zinedine Zidane in 2001.

606: DEBATE

No United fan can tell me he won't be a miss, he will be and I admit I'm sad to see him go

one-united

That deal was sealed by the ambition of returning Real president Florentino Perez, who previously led the Spanish club from 2000 to 2006 - during the famous galacticos era.

And Perez had earlier made it clear that he would do "everything possible" to sign Ronaldo.

Madrid have also been linked with Liverpool's Xabi Alonso, Valencia's David Villa and Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery since Perez's unopposed election signalled the return of their vast spending.

Ronaldo, who joined United in 2003 from Sporting Lisbon for £12.2m, was strongly linked with a move to the Spanish capital last summer.

United lodged a complaint with world governing body Fifa last June over what they believed was a deliberate attempt by Real to unsettle the winger.

After a long drawn out saga the Portugal international remained at United for the 2008-09 season, but the speculation soured relations between the clubs.

And last December United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said that he would not "sell that mob a virus".

If Ronaldo does sign for Madrid his last appearance for United would have been in the Champions League final that the Premier League champions lost 2-0 to Barcelona in Rome.

After the final Ronaldo was critical of Ferguson's tactics.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(not directed at mekong, but whoever it was who disagreed with me)

I'd said he'd go...

Can I enjoy a "I told you so" moment...please...

Anyway, I don't care. Man U will be weaker next season, as will the Premier League...all the best players are in Spain now. Interesting times...

Don't care too much about Ronaldo, he's a great player but doesn't have the personality to make him likeable.

What bothers me is that Real Madrid can pay ridiculous of money that will extremely put them in depth and get away with it whilst other clubs around Europe have to proof that they are financially sound enough to get a license for the next season.

I find it outrageous that RM can go ahead and do this. It seems that Platini and Uefa are finally waking up to this, wonder what or if they will or can do something about it.

RM have said they expect to make 500 million out of Ronaldo...so it actually makes sense when seen in that light.

Their next TV rights negotiations should be interesting, they got a billion for the last one...lord knows how much for the next!

Crazy money certainly.

David Villa is going there now too...a bargain at 40 million Euros.

Archived